Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Notebook 15-DB0004DX
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am using a mouse with this laptop and would like to be able to disable the touchpad and left/right keys. I have tried the suggestions in the Windows 10 software, but can't find any way to disable these. When I click on "Additional Settings", the software takes me to things to do with the mouse, but not the touchpad. Thanks to this forum , I have the service manual for this laptop from another issue, but I don't see anything there about about disabling the touchpad.  I'm wondering if this HP model allows this to be done. Any help or suggestions will be appreciated. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thanks for replying @JimR5

As the "Touchpad Settings" does not have disable option, this means you don't have a precision touchpad. 

The only way to disable the touchpad is to uninstall it from the device manager but it will enable itself once the PC is restarted. 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi @JimR5

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you with the touchpad. 

Let's try these steps to re-install the touchpad driver -

1) Right click on the start or Windows icon and open the "Device Manager".
2) Expand the "Mice and other pointing devices".
3) Right click TouchPad and then click on uninstall and restart the computer. 

You may also refer to this document.  

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your response. Before I do anything, I have a question. When I right click on the touchpad, I get the options: Update driver and Uninstall the device.

I would like to maintain the portability of the laptop without using the mouse. So then, I would like to be able to use the touch pad, etc. If I uninstall the device, would I be able to reinstall it if needed? Thanks for your help.

HP Recommended

@JimR5

Once you un-install and restart the computer, the touch pad will get automatically installed. 

Then, you can manually change the touchpad functionality in the touchpad settings -

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi, I have uninstalled the touchpad and restarted the computer. After the restart, I don't get the screen that you show. If I left click the Windows icon and go to "Settings" and "Devices" and then go down to the Touchpad, I get the following display"

JimR5_0-1579622064765.png

If I right click on the Touchpad, it just shows settings for sensitivity, gestures, etc but no ability to disable the touchpad.

This is what I have encountered in the past  If I go to "Additional Settings" I just get settings for the mouse only - no adjustments for the touchpad. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks

P.S When I uninstalled the touchpad, I did not click to remove the driver - should I have done that?

HP Recommended

Sorry, in the above reply, I should have said left click on Touchpad. This is the screen I get then:

JimR5_0-1579622815079.png

HP Recommended

Thanks for replying @JimR5

As the "Touchpad Settings" does not have disable option, this means you don't have a precision touchpad. 

The only way to disable the touchpad is to uninstall it from the device manager but it will enable itself once the PC is restarted. 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Ah, I see. From this I gather that if I uninstall it, and don't restart the computer immediately it will be disabled until the next time it boots up -is that correct. If so that may be a viable way to handle it. Thanks so much for your help and advice.

HP Recommended

@JimR5

That's right! 

If you need further assistance feel free to reach out to us.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day ahead.

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.