Dmitry22 Honor Student
Honor Student
4 3 0 0
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Display driver NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 'x' stopped responding

HP Pavilion 17 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hi,

I am using a HP Pavilion Notebook 17-f001nl (ENERGY STAR) -  Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4510U CPU @ 2.00GHz - Intel(R) HD Graphics Family (driver version 10.18.10.3496) and NVIDIA GeForce 840M (driver version 376.09).

Since August 2016 I have been experiencing the 'Display Driver NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, version ... stopped working and has been restored' error everytime I start a game from the Steam library. This is often followed by a blue screen and my laptop restarting. The blue screen errors are often associated with 'kernel mode errors' and 'video tdr failure'.

I managed to send my laptop to the HP support centre in August, when it was still covered by the warranty. The laptop came back with a new NVIDIA GeForce 840M, but the problems persisted.

I have tried pretty much every solution that I managed to find online, without any real success, including:

-Clean install almost every NVIDIA driver available for my graphic card and my OS

-update the driver of the Intel HD Graphics card

-install or hide the NVIDIA graphic adapter WDDM

-overclock/underclock

-something regarding increasing the time that the graphic card 'waits' for a program to respond, changing it from 2 seconds to 8 seconds I think (cannot recall what the exact process was now)

-changing the settings on the NVIDIA Control Panel (e.g. forcing programs to be run by the NVIDIA card, changing the setting of individual games to be run at maximal performance, etc.)

-changing settings through Steam (e.g. running the game as the administrator, etc.)

-any combination of the above

Please help. This is becoming extremely frustrating. Using a software analysis tool I managed to confirm that whenever I start a game, the NVIDIA card stops working and 'shuts down'. This does not happen if I force the game to be run by the Intel card, obviously compromising performance. 

Any advice/suggestion would be very much appreciated!

Thank you!

7 REPLIES 7
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
18193 18143 1480 2509
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Display driver NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 'x' stopped responding

@Dmitry22

Welcome to the HP Forums :)

I would like to take a moment and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers. 
For you to have the best experience on the HP forum, you could also visit our HP Forums Guide for First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

As I understand the computer gets a blue screen error, However, since you haven’t captured the error code or message,
I would request you to follow the below steps to capture and reply back with the error message/code to identify the issue and find a permanent fix:

• In Windows, search for and open View advanced system settings.
  • In the Advanced tab, under Startup and Recovery, click Settings.
  • Under System Failure, remove the check mark next to automatically restart, and then click OK.
  • Restart the computer to apply the change.
  • The computer no longer restarts automatically when a blue screen error occurs.

For more details: click here

​​Please reply back with the error code as the issue is code specific and it would be rather easier to provide an accurate solution using the same.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, that’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!
Reply for further assistance as well.
Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Dmitry22 Honor Student
Honor Student
4 3 0 0
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi! Thanks for replying @Riddle _Decipher

I have followed the steps, but I wouldn't really like to 'crash' my computer on purpose just to see what error pops up to be honest. Is there any other way to look at the 'history' of errors that my laptop experienced, so that I could show them to you?

I can definitely say that most often the error presenting is 'VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE'. Is this of any help?

Thanks!

Dmitry

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
18193 18143 1480 2509
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Dmitry22

Thank you for replying,

The reason it's important to know the precise error is because the "Video_TDR_Failure" in general requires a graphics card reinstallation and update,

If issue persists, the only options is to reinstall the windows: Click here for details

Let me know if you need any other assistance,

I hope you have a good day ahead,

And Feel free to ask your queries as this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Dmitry22 Honor Student
Honor Student
4 3 0 0
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I see. Then I will try to post the exact error sometime tomorrow.

However what is strage is that, as I mentioned before, my graphic card has be reinstalled in August and the problem persisted. I have the latest NVIDIA driver on, and I have tried pretty much any other driver available.

I didn't mention, but I reinstalled Windows about a month ago and it still gives me the same error whenever I try to launch a game.

Blue screen errors do not always occur after the message 'Display driver NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 'x' stopped responding and has been restored' pops up. Is there anything I could try to do in order to fix the 'kernel mode driver' problem?

Thanks for your time.

Dmitry

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
18193 18143 1480 2509
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Dmitry22

Thank you for the update,
I appreciate your time and efforts,

I understand you've reinstalled the graphics card drivers and the windows OS previously,

However, the error represents the information that there is currently a corrupted file within the OS either conflicting or incompatible with the video card drivers,

I would recommend you run a hardware test on the graphics card to be on a safer side,

Please use the hardware diagnostics tool for the same.

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful, 

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

Dmitry22 Honor Student
Honor Student
4 3 0 0
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Run every test inside of UEFI and none showed any issue.

I also managed to record the blue screen errors that came up after the 'kernel mode driver' error:

- the first one was VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE (nvlddmkm.sys)

- shortly after restarting my laptop another blue screen error popped up, SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (nvlddmkm.sys). This time I was not trying to start a game or even doing anything in particular.

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
3304 3302 178 336
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi@Dmitry22,

Thanks for responding.

Then, I recommend you to reinstall the operating system back to factory settings and check if that solves the issue.

Doing the recovery will wipe the personal data as well.

Please be sure to back up the data before performing the recovery. 

Use the link below to perform the recovery.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03489643

Hope the information shared will help you. Please share for more.

Resolv_S

Glad to help you. I work for HP

Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!

"HP respects and is committed to protecting the personal information of our covered individuals." You can read more in the HP Privacy Statement.

Resolv_S
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation