cancel
August76 Top Student
Top Student
6 3 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Display flickers, low quality view = not detailed, bright colors change to dark grey

ENVY 15-j133na Notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I did not noticed the exact moment when this problem occurred. The display flickers, brighter colors become darker grey. Also I see red color traces on brighter colors when I watch videos. The quality of everything I open looks lower than before. Even computer properties or other opened windows are lower quality and not detailed as before. The problem disappears when I adjust the screen and support it with wall or if i slightly bend it. I know that the problem might be because of the malfunction of the flat flex cable but I don't know exactly. 

It would be great if experts could help me or customers that have fixed this problem and know what to do.

4 REPLIES 4
Provost Provost
Provost
38959 38774 5976 10413
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Display flickers, low quality view = not detailed, bright colors change to dark grey

Go into UEFI diagnostics (F2 as you power up) and look for the component tests and there is a display test. Run it and report results. The cable can go bad but very rare. More likely it is the display panel itself and it goes bad at the cable connection point. This will create intermittent issues for a while then the screen will go out. 

0 Kudos
August76 Top Student
Top Student
6 3 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Okey,, so I managed to finnaly boot into UEFI, I had to download the latest drivers for it. In the components section I chose Video. i tested both Video memory test and Video memory fast test, also Palette test. All tests passed

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
38959 38774 5976 10413
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Did the screen look good during the tests?

0 Kudos
August76 Top Student
Top Student
6 3 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

No it did not. It was as usual flicking. I also noticed that I can hear some noises as it flicks. Also just noticed 3 small white dots near the middle of the screen. So I believe I damaged my lcd screen somehow but I have no idea what happened. 

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation