Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sherry_046
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 27
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Display is black on start up??? Compaq Presario CQ62

Display is black on start up...Compaq Presario CQ62.  Any help???

26 REPLIES 26
Highlighted
Level 12
4,523 4,426 238 1,227
Message 2 of 27
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Is it totally black altogether or do you at least see the HP logo on boot up ?

Try this though...

Ounce it's fully booted, shine a bright flash light on the screen and see if you can see a dim image of your desk top.

What's your full model number too please ?

kacang-tanah
6 6 0 0
Message 3 of 27
Flag Post
HP Recommended

omg.. im experiencing the same thing too!! only i have to close and open the lid a few times before the screen stays on and i can login~

0 Kudos
Level 12
4,523 4,426 238 1,227
Message 4 of 27
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@ kacang-tanah

Opening and closing the lid like that usually means that the video cable has become defective. What's your full model number and what OS are you running ?  Is it 32 or 64 bit ?

0 Kudos
kacang-tanah
6 6 0 0
Message 5 of 27
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It's Presario CQ40-401AX. Cable defective? Seriously? Can it be fixed? Would it be expensive? I was this close to formatting it because I thought it has virus on or something. Because everytime before it went black, the cursor is loading cursor. Like some prog is on loading. And when I open/close the lid now, the display is still ok. Seriously, is getting it fix would be expensive?

0 Kudos
kacang-tanah
6 6 0 0
Message 6 of 27
Flag Post
HP Recommended

oh... and am on vista home premium... sorry.. forgot to mention that...

0 Kudos
Level 12
4,523 4,426 238 1,227
Message 7 of 27
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Here are some trouble shooting steps.

Upon booting up immediately start tapping the f10 key, that will get you into the BIOS and by-pass the operating system. If you can see a steady image there, then the screen and the video cable is OK and we'll have to assume it's not the cable.

Another step is to hook up an external monitor, either through the VGA or HDMI connection. If the image on the external is good, then there is no problem with the OS or the mother board and you don't have a virus.

Speaking of virus, you don't have a virus, viruses don't cause intermittent black outs of thy screen when the lid is opened and closed; don't format the laptop.

If you don't have an external monitor, most places that sell computes may let you try one of theirs.

As for the video cable, it runs by the hinges for he screen and after countless openings and closings of the screen it becomes internally frayed and fails, causing the problem you're having now.

I should also ask you, how long have you had this laptop ?

0 Kudos
kacang-tanah
6 6 0 0
Message 8 of 27
Flag Post
HP Recommended

i did the tapping the F10 key... and it gave me the same pitch black display. when i did the open/close lid, only then the BIOS screen came up, but not too long as it turned to black screen again.

it's the video cable apparently. *sigh*

ive been using this laptop since may 2008. more than 3 years now. should i get it fixed, would it be worth it? or sell it and get a better model?

0 Kudos
Level 12
4,523 4,426 238 1,227
Message 9 of 27
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It's up to you, it is 3 years old and eventually the inverter and or back light will fail. The inverter is inexpensive to replace, but if the backlight fails then the screen will have to be replaced.

It may carry on for another 2 or 3 years. If you want to replace the cable here are some from e-bay, the part number is 486735-001.

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=hp+cq+40+video+cable&_sacat=0&_odkw=hp+cq+40&_osacat=0&_trksid=p328...

Here is one online vender too.

http://www.impactcomputers.com/486735-001.html

Your service manual. Look on page 55, it's a big job on an HP laptop.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01714937.pdf

Videos from the HP media Services Library. Use IE8 to view the video's, I know that IE9 and Google Chrome does not work. Give the page a minute to load.

http://h20574.www2.hp.com/results.htm?SID=3884556&MEID=DC5BD89C-74CF-4039-9E44-142E60C921CB

A used CQ 40 can be had on e-bay for around 200.00$ so if you take it t a repair shop, keep that in mind. The repair store will also have an external monitor to confirm it is the cable or at least not the video card on the mother board.

A new laptop will be running W7, which is nice, it's very similar to Vista, but with some new features and allot less bulky.

kacang-tanah
6 6 0 0
Message 10 of 27
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hmmm... a lot to think of then... Thanks HaggisCat! You're the best.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation