Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 - 13-ac033dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm trying to confirm if the HP Spectre x360 - 13-ac033dx supports displayport alternate mode.

I have purchased a J5create monitor stand/docking station (https://en.j5create.com/collections/monitor-stands/products/jct425) and when connected to the USB-C port on the Spectre x360 there are random times when the laptop screen and external monitor go black.  The connection is automatically re-established and nothing is lost, but occurs randomly but consistently.  In a support call with J5create they believe the computer USB-C does not support/is not compatible with displayport alternate mode.  Apparently, according to J5create, the JCT425 requires devices to be displayport alternate mode compatible.

If that is the case does anyone know a resolution or workaround? 

For example, my monitor has both HDMI and Displayport inputs.  So, would a work around be to connect an HDMI to Displayport cable from the J5create HDMI port the Displayport on the monitor? 

Or, is the core issue related to the type of USB-C ports on the Spectre x360 laptop and regardless of the capable/connection type (HDMI or Displayport), the Spectre x360 USB-C ports do not support or is not compatible with the displayport alternate mode USB-C capability?

Any insight/thoughts/recommendations would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@KyChapple Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that you are looking alternative supported display port for the HP Spector laptop.

Unfortunately, there is no external display port.  Please see the specification 

You have to use the Docking station to connect the external display.

Please perform the USB test and let us know the result.

1) Shutdown the computer.  

2) Turn the computer back on again and repeatedly tap on the ESC until a Startup menu appears.  

3) Press F2 once.  

4) Go to the Component test.  

5) From the list, run the USB and thunderbolt test.  

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

Hi, sorry, just saw your reply, thx.

I've not done the steps yet, but what is the result of doing the steps? Does it display what type of USB/USB-C ports the laptop has and if they support and/or are compatible with the display port alt. mode?

And if I followed the comment, yes, correct. The laptop does not have a physical display port, just 2 USB-C ports and one older USB port.

Thanks again for your time.

HP Recommended

@KyChapple

We would like to check the USB C type port having any issue. 

If you are getting a 24 digit error code. The unit needs to be serviced. I would suggest you perform the USB test and check.

As I have stated in the previous post, there is no external display port.

You have to use the docking station or converter like USB c type to VGA.

Have a nice day!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.