Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15t (9yf35av)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello. I have a Pavilion 15t laptop (9yf35av) with a NVIDIA GeForce MX450 (2GB) video card. Does that video card support dual monitors?

If so, how would I connect two monitors to the laptop? It has one HDMI port as well as one USB-C port. The USB-C port seems to have a (tiny) lightning bolt by it, but I'm unsure if that means it's a Thunderbolt. What are my options, either way? Thank you for any input!

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@tomtomjs 

15t is an CTO machine we don't have its specs and the code you supplied is invalid

https://partsurfer.hp.com/Search.aspx?searchText=9yf35av

https://partsurfer.hp.com/Search.aspx?searchText=9YF35AV

The NVIDIA GeForce MX450 supports 2 monitors BUT what is/are available port(s). The (tiny) lightning bolt by it may means many things. We need to know what is its USB-C port.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thanks, Banhien. I did some digging online and found out it has the following ports:

"1 SuperSpeed USB Type-C® 10Gbps signaling rate (USB Power Delivery, DisplayPort™ 1.4, HP Sleep and Charge); 2 SuperSpeed USB Type-A 5Gbps signaling rate; 1 HDMI 2.0; 1 headphone/microphone combo."

Thus, it seems I can connect two monitors, one through the HDMI and one through the USB Type-C port. Is that correct?

Also, do I have to get a DisplayPort to USB Type-C cable, or could I instead use an HDMI to USB Type-C cable? I think I could use either, as one of my monitors supports both DisplayPort 1.2 and HDMI 1.4. Would one be better than the other?

FYI: I plan to connect my other monitor to the computer via its HDMI port. This monitor only has DVI and VGA, but I already have the adapter that converts DVI to HDMI. (I might eventually replace this monitor, but I use my computer mostly for work, rarely for watching YouTube/Netflix, and never for gaming.)

p.s. Since it's an "HP Sleep and Charge" USB Type-C port, it seems the tiny lightning bolt is perhaps related to it being one that charges USB devices quickly, including while the laptop is in sleep mode.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.