4 3 0 0
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Dual monitors with Elitbook WA994AV Docking Station

Elitbook WA994AV
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Morning All, 

I've got an Elitebook 2740 which I use mostly on a WA994AV docking station. 

My primary monitor is the 12" screen on the laptop and I have a second monitor connected to the docking station which is monitor 2. 

What I'd like to know (before I purchase a second screen), is if I can buy a VGA splitter, connect that to my docking station and run two external monitors from the docking station. 

I find the 12" screen fine when travelling, but when working from home and need to use two screens I constatnly find myself dragging items onto the external monitor to work on due to it's larger size. 

If the docking station will support two external monitors (or even 3 with the laptop lid openned) it would make my life a lot easier. 

If anyone can tell me if this is posible it'd be great thanks. 

ALso, if there's a way top permanently set it so that the external monitor(s) are set to Extend desktop when I start the laptop it would be great. Currently Windows 10 (64 bit) will start with extended desktop, then after about 30-60 seconds it will flip over to duplicating the laptop display onto the external monitor and I have to change the display outputs everytime. 

7 REPLIES 7
Provost Provost
Provost
38149 37969 5796 10070
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

If this is the product:

http://www.notebookparts.com/hp-elitebook-2740p-2760p-2730p-docking-station-port-replicator-wa994av-...

It has a vga and a DP video port. If you try to use a vga splitter you will get an identical image on two vga displays which is not what you want I am sure. It will put out to the vga and the DP as separate displays and allow extending a different desktop to each. 

I am not sure about the problem you are having with your monitor setup. In my experience Windows 10 will recreate the last monitor setup that was running when you turn it off and restart. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

0 Kudos
Stevieblueyez Honor Student
Honor Student
4 3 0 0
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey. 

THanks for the quick reply. 

This is what the back of my docking station looks like. I have one SVGA port output and what looks like an older TV output cable (next to the 3x USB ports). But don't see anythign that looks like a display port. If there is a newer docking station I can get for the 2740p that will have an SVGA and a display port I might take a look. 

dockingstation.jpg

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
38149 37969 5796 10070
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I don't see it either. The VGA splitter idea will not work. I assume those are USB 2.0 ports which are not capable of driving a monitor that is useful so I would say you are stuck with the laptop screen and one vga monitor. 

0 Kudos
Honor Student
4 3 0 0
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Think I've figured it out (thanks to your steer). There's a later revision of my docking station called (v #B13) which has a reftangular mini Display Port. Where as the older models, which I have, have the older TV out port. 

Thanks for your help. Found the info I needed. Just need to find a cheap docking station on eBay now. 

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
38149 37969 5796 10070
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

This seems a bit risky since the seller posted a Dell logo on the auction but it appears to be the part you want at a very good price:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WA995UT-ABA-HP-WA995UT-Expension-Base-Docking-Station-Smart-Buy-for-Notebook...

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

0 Kudos
Honor Student
4 3 0 0
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yes it would be, however I'm in the UK. 

Whilst $24 would be a steal, the $183.05 for shipping is a bit steep :D

Thanks for the link. I've found a couple around the GBP£30 mark which I'll take a look at. 

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
38149 37969 5796 10070
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I guess they are going to buy it a first-class seat on British Airways. 

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation