cancel
CAMSMOM Student
Student
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

EVERTIME I CONNECT MY LAPTOP TO THE POWER CORD THE SCREEN GOES DARK WHEN I DISCONNECT IT LIGHTS BACK

HP 15
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I HAVE BEEN NOTICING THAT EVERYTIME I CONNECT MY PC TO THE POWER CORD THE SCREEN GOES DARK BUT LIGHTS BACK UP WHEN I DISCONNECT IT CHECKED DISPLAY SETTINGS WHAT COULD BE THE PROBLEM 

1 REPLY 1
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
12360 12337 1165 2355
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

EVERTIME I CONNECT MY LAPTOP TO THE POWER CORD THE SCREEN GOES DARK WHEN I DISCONNECT IT LIGHTS BACK

Hi @CAMSMOM,

Thanks for visiting the HP Forums, an innovative way to get support and answers to questions that are posted. I read your post about the computer going black when the power cord is plugged in and lights back up when it is unplugged. I will be more than happy to assist you with this. Good job on checking display settings.

I would require more information regarding this to assist you better.

• Does the unit work fine without the power cord connected?
  • Have you tried to disconnect the battery and plug in only the adapter to check if the computer fires up?
  • Is there no display at all on the computer at all times?
  • Is there a light by the charging port where the charger plugs in?

Please perform a hard reset first.

Steps to do it:

• Power down the computer and unplug the charger. Then remove the battery.
  • Hold down the power button of the unit for 15 seconds to discharge static electrical charges inside the machine.
  • Replace the battery and reconnect the charger. Try to power on the computer.

If it works, then the issue should be resolved. Otherwise, try to hook it up to an external screen (TV using an HDMI cable) and check if it works correctly. This will isolate the issue to a failed  display or a faulty computer.

Thanks for reaching out. Please let me know if this helps.If it does,please mark this post as "Accept as Solution". If you require further assistance, let me know and I will gladly do all I can to help. If you wish to say "thanks" for my efforts to help, click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos.

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation