Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Elitebook 8540w
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi.

I am a collage student scuffeling thou the trenches to get my degree and my YE-old elitebook hand-me-down laptop have started to do some wonky things.

I needed a new laptop due my old beeing way to old, and since my budget is tight i got to scuffle thou a family members bin of old computer stuff. (he works for an a bigger electrical engineering firm so he does have a lot neat stuff he don't use anymore)

Anyways, after popping in an new SSD in it that i had floating about after my last IT job (had to remove the old HDD for obious reasons) and installing windows and a small bucket of random drivers, not all worked as they should in win10 as they were win7 drivers, it worked fine for about a week.
But, after that week the backlight did not turn on regardless of what i did. but in a fit of frustration i pulled the entire ting compleately apart and put it back together and it somehow worked again for a couple of days.
Uintil yesterday, i tried to take it apart again like last time, but it did resolve the issue. I tried all kinds of reset stufflike taking out the battery and holding dow the power button, but no...
So as a last ditch i tried to plugg inn an external monitor. And i got a perfect picture on the external monitor, 10 secounds later the Laptop backlight turned on like normal. So i guessed it was a driver issue, and swapped out the driver to the latest direct from nvidia (it has quadro card) and the issue seemed to be fixed.

But wait! the darn thing did it again today! YAY!
And, as soon as i plugged in an external monitor the backlight tured on on the laptop also.... -_-
I can plugg out the external monitor and everything works fine. I can even turn it off leave it for 5 min and tur it on again and it still works fine without plugging in the external monitor.

Anyone got a clue what it might be?

( i am going to try an older driver now just for the hec of it)

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.