Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Envy 13-ag0003na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

Excited to recieve my shiny Envy and triple monitor via USB-C docking setup today. Unboxed, connected, and the laptop won't find the displays. I can't help but feel I'm being an idiot. Spent 5 hours trying to fix this. HP support essentially providing copy+paste answers and ignoring my particular problem. 

Pretty simple...

Laptop connected to docking station over USB-C. 3x fw27 monitors on docking station. 1 monitor is direct on HDMI. 2 others on (HP branded) displayport to HDMI adaptoers. Laptop cannot detect monitors to extend desktop - none of them. 

Tried other perhiperals on docking station - 2x usb sticks, external keyboard, mouse and audio. All functioning fine.

Tried single monitor on USB-C through box-provided USBc- HDMI adapter. This works - monitor working fine on extend and duplicate. THought for a while it may be a Dport -> HDMI issue, but this cant be the case as one monitor is directly connected via the native HDMI port on the dock, and same issues. 

Tried all monitors on my  'old' laptop. All function fine, including via DPort->hdmi adapters.

All drivers, windows and (surprisingly) now BIOS is all up to date as of 24 may 2019. 

HP support completely useless, and say it 'should work' by adding monitors in Windows 10 advanced display settings. I bl**dy know it should work - thats why I purchased this particular setup, on HP's written advice. But no moniotors appear in that dialogue, so I'm stuck!! 

Any community help much appreciated before I rebox this pile, send it back and ring Dell with my credit card. I really am at that stage. I love the build of the HP stuff but if simple tasks like this continue to prove so troublesome there's only one answer. A real shame.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@SammyB123

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.
Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

@SammyB123 

The specs of your machine is

https://support.hp.com/si-en/document/c06063413

and the specs of HP USB-C Dock G4 is

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05861464

Firstly they are NOT FULLY compatible and the best you can get

Single display
Up to 3840 x 1440 at 60 Hz
Dual display
Up to 1920 x 1200 at 60 Hz
Triple display
Up to 1680 x 1050 at 60 Hz

Have you tried to connect 3 monitors : 2 monitors using NATIVE Display ports (no middle men) and 1 monitor using HDMI port on the dock ?

Regards.
BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.