Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Unknown

I have had the same problem since I purchased the computer.  I tried the steps you suggested, did not solve my issue.  I have also updated the BIOS and done a Windows 10 full reset.  When leaving the computer idle, the screen will shut off after a time, but the computer will not sleep and the power button will remain lit, not go into a blinking sleep mode.  When I try to wake up the computer using the keyboard, mouse, etc, nothing works.  I need to hold the power button down and do a hard restart.  This is extremely frustrating when leaving the computer for a short time and coming back to continue work only having to restart and wait for it to boot up again.  I can imagine this is not good on the CPU and hard drive either. Please help. 

I am running:

Product name: HP ENVY x360 Convertible 15m-bp1xx
Product number: 1KS76UA#ABA
Serial number: [edit]
Software build ID: 17WW3NBT601#SABA#DABA
Motherboard ID: 83C8
Service ID: 20171219
BIOS : F.44-11 /15/2018
Keyboard revision: 32.68
Total memory : 16 GB
Processor name: lntel(R) Core(TM) i7-8550U CPU@ 1.80GHz

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hey there! @JamesSea

Please share the product number of the PC to assist you better.

I have checked the records and found a service advisory related to the issue you have mentioned.

To solve the issue update the Toshiba firmware to the latest version.

Update the Toshiba firmware using this link. Click Here

Also, try updating the BIOS and chipset drivers to the latest version using HP support assistant and check if it helps.

Refer this article to know more information about using HP support assistant.

Try few steps recommended below.

Disable Hibernation
Press the Windows (Image: icon_Windows_key.png) key and the letter X on your keyboard at the same time.
Select Command Prompt (Admin) from the menu that appears.
Click Yes to allow the app to make changes to your PC.
Type powercfg/h off and press Enter.
Restart your computer.

Run the Windows Power Management troubleshooter.
Type troubleshooting in the Windows search box and press Enter.
Select Troubleshooting (control panel) from the list of search results.
Click System and Security.
Click Power.
Click Next to run the power management troubleshooter.
Click Close when the troubleshooter completes.
Restart your computer.

Right-click on the Windows icon present at the bottom left side of the screen and select Settings.
Once in the Settings, select the menu of System present as the first entry at the top left side of the screen.
Choose the menu of Power and Sleep from the list of options at the left pane in the screen.
Now at the top right side, you will find an option as Advanced power settings. Click it.
Choose the option “Choose what the power buttons do” from the list of options available on the left side of the screen.
Now you will be seeing a menu like this. Make sure that you apply these changes to both the options (On battery and Plugged in)
When I press the power button: Hibernate

When I press the sleep button: Turn off the display

When I close the lid: Sleep

Click on “Save Changes” at the bottom of the screen and navigate back to the previous page.

Now click the option “Choose what closing the lid does”.

Make sure that you apply these changes to both the options (On battery and Plugged in)
When I press the power button: Hibernate

When I press the sleep button: Turn off the display

When I close the lid: Sleep

Click on “Save Changes” at the bottom of the screen and navigate back to the previous page.

Now navigate to the main Power Options menu. Here you will see different plans available on your computer (Balanced, High Performance and Power saver etc.). Select the one you are using and click on “Change plan settings” present in front of it.
A new window will appear. Navigate to the near bottom and click on “Change advanced power settings”.
A small new window will appear in front of you. Navigate to the near bottom and select “Power buttons and lid”. Apply these changes to both the conditions (On battery and Plugged in).
Lid close action: Sleep

Power button action: Hibernate

Sleep button action: Turn off the display

Press Ok to save changes and exit. Restart your computer for the changes to take place and check if the problem has been solved.

Lastly, try running a system diagnostics test on the PC and check if the hardware components on the PC are functioning correctly.

Refer this article to know more information about running system diagnostics on your PC. Click Here

Let me know how it goes!

Have a beautiful weekend ahead! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The product information is in my original post - did you even read it or is this a scripted response?

Second of all, my computer is an HP, and this is an HP forum - what does Toshiba have to do with anything?

-Bios and chipset drivers are updated

-The disable hibernation instructions do not work - it does not recognize the command.

-Power management troubleshooter does not find any issues.

-I don't have a sleep button, so that is not an option.

-System diagnostics does not find any issues.

I have tried every fix I have found on the web, I don't know else to do at this point.  I've also realized that the issue is that the computer is NOT going to sleep, but the screen is turning off then won't come back on.  When I leave the laptop open for a period of time, the screen goes black and the power button stays on solid with the fan running.  I cannot get the screen to come back on with the mouse or keyboard and need to do a hard reset.  If I close the lid before this happens, the computer will go into sleep mode where the power button blinks.  When I open the computer after this, it comes back on.  So the issue is when leaving it open.

If you can help with that, great.  If not I give up at this point.

HP Recommended

Hi! @JamesSea,

Thanks for the update.

The Toshiba firmware suggested in the previous post was to update the hard drive firmware.

The hard drive shipped with the PC is a Toshiba Hard drive, So you need to update the firmware as per the advisory to solve the sleep issues.

Please update firmware and check if the issue persists.

Hope to hear from you soon!

Take Care! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Apparently I don't have a Toshiba hard drive, because the application can not find one.  Please confirm we are talking about the same model, see my original post.

HP Recommended

In fact it's an HGST hard drive.

HP Recommended

Hi! @JamesSea,

Thanks for writing back again.

I have checked the records and the service advisory applies only to Toshiba hard drives.

Try performing a system reset on the PC and check if it helps.

Refer this article to know more information about performing a system reset. Click Here

Hope this helps!

Take Care! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I've reset the PC already.  Any other bright ideas??

HP Recommended

Did you ever find a solution to this?  I have the same specs, same problem.  It used to happen once in a while, but since early Sept it seems to happen every time I walk away from the computer.  

HP Recommended

Sort of, but not really.  I changed my settings so that the screen never shuts off.  So now if I leave it open it will just go to the lock screen and I can easily log back in, which forces me to shut the laptop when I will be away for a while and that automatically kicks it into sleep mode which it wakes up from when I open it.  The issue I've found seems to be with the screen not coming back on so that is my work around.  Not ideal but less of a hassle than a hard restart every time.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.