Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360, HP Thunderbolt G2 Dock
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hardware: HP Spectre x360 (13-aw0163tu), HP Thunderbolt G2 Dock, 2 DELL Monitors (1920 x 1080 @ 60Hz)

Issue: When the external monitors connected to the G2 Dock go to sleep they do not wake.

Details: The Laptop screen wakes OK but the external monitors do not, whether one or two are plugged in. Other components from the Dock i.e. Power, Network, USB still function but the monitors do not. Restarting the laptop does NOT fix the issue. Powering off and on the Laptop does fix the issue until the next sleep. Unplugging the thunderbolt cable and plugging back does fix the issue until the next sleep. Unplugging monitors from the Dock and plugging back in does fix the issue until the next sleep. Both the Laptop and Dock are running the latest firmware and drivers available.

26 REPLIES 26
HP Recommended

@box57l

Thank you for posting on HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:  

Firstly, perform Windows Update and HP Support Assistant: (do not skip any troubleshooting steps if you feel steps are repeating) 

To check for updates now, select the Start button, and then go to Settings  > Update & security  > Windows Update, and select Check for updates.

Install updates from HP Support Assistant: Go to Download HP Support Assistant to install the tool.

1. To open HP Support Assistant, double-click the HP Support Assistant icon https://support.hp.com/doc-images/932/c05040382.jpg.
  2. Click My devices in the top menu, and then click Updates in the My PC or My notebook pane.
  3. Click Check for updates and messages to scan for new updates.
  4. Review the list of updates. Updates with a yellow information icon are recommended. Updates with a blue information icon are optional.
  5. Click the update name for a description, version number, and file size.
  6. Select the box next to any updates you want to install, and then click Download and install.

And, also run BIOS Update: Follow steps from the link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c00042629

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Drivers\BIOS updates make no difference. I assume it is the graphic display driver that is the issue, as during the driver update the external monitors display went black and did not return until a shutdown. Intel(R) Iris(R) Plus Graphics driver version is 26.20.100.7810 (1/21/2020).

HP Recommended

@box57l

Thank you for posting back. 

The HP support assistant and windows update will update the system with all the latest software drivers. If its a docking station issue. 

I would request you to contact our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to sort this out. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:  www.hp.com/contacthp/ ( while on-call choose HP commercial product or Docking station in IVR to reach the commercial team ) 

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance. Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have a very similar setup: HP Spectre x360 - 13-aw0320ng running Windows 10 1909, HP Thunderbolt G2 Dock and a Dell Monitor U2713HM (2560x1440) connected over Displayport.

And I experienced the very same problem. The display would not wake up from sleep when I wake up the laptop.

It looked like the monitor tries to wake up, but directly goes to sleep again.

I spent hours trying to fix this issue.
At the end I uninstalled the new Intel Iris Plus Graphics driver bringing be back to version 25.20.10.7060 and the issue was gone.

So it's definitely a driver issue that should be addressed.

Hope that helps someone.

HP Recommended

Hi there !

Same issue here with the same setup : Spectre X360 (late 2019 version), Thunderbolt G2 120w dock, 2 external Dell monitors (P2419H - 1920x1080) over DP.

It drives me crazy - plugging and unplugging the dock to get screens back on in a real pain.

I tried to roll back to a previous version of the driver but was unlucky with it (installation drivers claiming that the computer doesn't match with drivers requierements).

Also tried to update the driver to the latest one (27.20.100.8280) without success.

Currently stucked with driver v 26.20.100.7810 - waiting for an official update from HP...

I would love giving a try to a previous version (25.20.10.7060) but not sure how I can find it ?

Thanks a lot,

Max

HP Recommended

Hey Max,

I eventually spoke to a HP support person and was told to return the dock as it was only compatible with "commercial" laptops, the customer service was very poor.

I can confirm the 27.20.100.8280 driver DOES NOT fix the issue. My next option is to downgrade Windows 10 (current build I have can only rollback to 26.x) so I can try the 25.x drivers as another poster mentioned it worked for them.

I have always been a DELL customer, this was my first experience with HP, after spending $3000 on the laptop and dock with the dismissive HP support representative it will be last HP purchase.

HP Recommended

I also got the answer from HP Support claiming the Thunderbolt dock it is not supported.

For me this still is a driver issue that needs to be addressed by HP/Intel.

For me uninstalling the driver through device manager brought me back to the working version 25.20.10.7060.

No Windows 10 downgrade was required.

I ultimately returned my Spectre x360 after the bad support experience and my USB C ports stopping to work completely after two weeks.

HP Recommended

Hi guys,

Thank you for your quick feedbacks and support. (I wish an HP member could take part in this discussion but highly doubt about it).

I bought the G2 dock after speaking with the HP customer service who told me that the dock "should work fine".

As advertized on the datasheet, the dock should be compliant with even non-HP devices.

Even more surprisingly I found the G2 firmware update tool... directly on the the X360 drivers download page !! (https://support.hp.com/fr-fr/drivers/selfservice/hp-spectre-13-aw0000-x360-convertible-pc-series/291...)

I really share with you :

• The huge disapointement about the poor customer service;
  • The feeling that this is sofware related (Bios ? Dock Firmware ? Drivers ?) and has nothing to do with the hardware.

@ both of you : I didn't really understand if you had it working properly initially of no ?

It is also my first - and probably last - experience with HP.

Max

HP Recommended

The dock firmware update on the HP download site for the Spectre x360 was also why I thought the Thunderbolt G2 dock is supported by HP to work with the  Spectre x360.

Besides, a universal USB/Thunderbolt dock should work with all USB/Thunderbolt devices.

@MaxKio: I didn't test it before updating windows, all drivers and the dock firmware first.

If that was your question.

After going back to the Intel Iris driver version 25.20.10.7060 it worked for me.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.