Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Envy 13-ad081nd
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hallo!

Every time I use a second screen (or beamer) my laptop (Envy 13-ad081nd) loses  connection and I get a black screen for a couple of seconds. This happens quite often; a couple of times in an hour. This is quite anoying in a presentation.

I'm using the HP usb-c to hdmi adapter, because this laptop does not have hdmi. My usb-c port has a thunderbolt sign.

Does anyone recogonize this problem and know a solution? Thanks a lot!

Paul

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@PaulDurenkamp,

Thanks for engaging in HP support Forums! This is a wonderful location to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips! I understand you are having issues related to your HP notebook. Don't worry we'll work together to help you find a solution.

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Have you recently made any software or hardware changes on the PC before the issue started?

Have you tried to update the Bios and drivers?

Have you tried to use an alternate adapter?

In the meantime, let's try these steps here: 

Perform a Hard reset on the notebook

Many startup errors and other problems can be resolved by decreasing the amount of power stored in hardware components. Decreasing stored power is sometimes referred to as a "Hard Reset". Use the following steps to perform a hard reset on a computer:

1. If Windows is open, click Start and then Shutdown.

If Windows is not open and the computer has power, press and hold the power button on the computer until the computer shuts off.

2. With the power off, disconnect the power cord from the back of the computer.

3. With the power off and the power cord disconnected, press the power button on the computer for 5 seconds. The power light indicator on or near the power button might turn on briefly but then go out.

4. Reconnect the power cord and turn on the power.

Let's try to uninstall the display drivers from Device manager: 

Right-Click on start button> click device manager> expand display adapters>then select the display drivers that are listed and right-click on it and uninstall the drivers.

Check the box that states delete the software for this device.

Now restart the computer and update the Bios, Chipset and graphics card drivers on your PC from our HP support website, using this link (Please enter the product number and then select the Operating system and version before downloading and installing the drivers).

Also, download and install HP support assistant on your PC. It should automatically download and install the latest updates and drivers for your PC.

Refer this link to know how to use HP support assistant.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

Eagerly waiting for your response!

I hope you have a good day ahead,

And Feel free to ask your queries as this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for the respons! These are the answers to your questions:

1) I have this problem for some time, so I have made several software changes in the meanwhile. I didn't make any hardware changes.

2) No, I have not. What is the easiest way to update the BIOS?

3) I have had 3 adapters; to HP adapters and one other. They all have the same problem. It's this one: https://www.redable.nl/hp-pavilion-usb-c-to-hdmi-2-0-usb-c-hdmi-zwart-kabeladapter-verloopstukje?utm...

Thank you! Kind regards,

Paul

HP Recommended

@PaulDurenkamp,

Thank you for replying,

I appreciate your time and efforts, As suggested in the previous post, I would recommend you go ahead and uninstall the display drivers and then update the Bios, Chipset and display drivers from our HP support website.

For more assistance on updating the Bios, Click here for Instructions.

Let me know how it goes for further assistance. 

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons,

That’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.