Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15-CC007NX
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Good day!

I need help on FPS dropping issue, just bought my laptop Sept-03-17

During my game experience especially when we are clashing (DOTA 2, DIABLO 3) or every 3-5mins the framerates is dropping to 10fps. Althought it is not a gaming laptop but it should run smoothly in a minimum setup. I got core i3-5005u 4gb ram no videocard but i never experience fps drop issue. I thought upgrading to i7-7500u 12gb ram 4gb nvidia 940mx could give me better gaming but i was wrong.  

I already reset on factory reset.

Drivers updated (Graphics, Chipset and BIOS) via HP Support Assistant and also in Device Manager,

I adjusted the NVIDIA to performance mode and set as default graphic,

I also set the power on performance mode

When the AC adapter is plugged, my laptop got too much laggy

I also run PC Bench Mark, during the GPU testing fps is also dropping

Is it hardware issue?

ProdID: 2CQ13EA#A2N

I really appriciate your reply.

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

@Jayson_24

Welcome to HP Forums, this is a great place to get support, find answers and tips,
Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂

As I understand the FPS reduces when the adapter is connected to the PC, however, it works well with an approximately 30 FPS without the adapter,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

Did you try reinstalling the graphics card drivers from the recovery manager?

(Click here to find the details for the same).

While you respond to that, here's what I suggest you do:

right-click your desktop background and select NVIDIA Control Panel. You can also find this tool by performing a Start menu (or Start screen) search for NVIDIA Control Panel or by right-clicking the NVIDIA icon in your system tray and selecting Open NVIDIA Control Panel.

To quickly set a system-wide preference, you could use the Adjust image settings with the preview option. For example, if you have old hardware that struggles to play the games you want to play, you may want to select “Use my preference emphasizing” and move the slider all the way to “Performance.” This trades graphics quality for an increased frame rate.

By default, the “Use the advanced 3D image settings” option is selected. You can select Manage 3D settings and change advanced settings for all programs on your computer or just for specific games. NVIDIA keeps a database of the optimal settings for various games, but you’re free to tweak individual settings here. Just mouse-over an option for an explanation of what it does.

If you have a laptop with NVIDIA Optimus technology — that is, both NVIDIA and Intel graphics — this is the same place you can choose which applications will use the NVIDIA hardware and which will use the Intel hardware.

For more assistance, please check a similar HP Forums post (Resolved): Click here  
(Though the header is different the steps will help get you a fix).

That said, if the issue persists, you should know that your HP 15 is not designed for gaming, it's purpose is everyday computing and hence I would request you not to overload the computer with HD games such as the ones you've mentioned as this computer cannot handle it, to know about HP Laptops designed for gaming: Click here

Let me know if those steps worked for you. If they did, that’s awesome! Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, that’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!
Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Dear,

I folllowed you instructions

I reinstalled the drivers via HP Recovery Manager.

The following Application I reinstalled

*HP 3D DriveGuard Software

*Intel Chipset Installation Utility Driver

* Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework Driver

*Intel High-Definition Grapics Driver

*Nvidia Grapics Driver

*Realtek Card Reader Driver

Then I restarted my laptop.

Then from Nvidia Control Panel, I adjusted the Image settings with preview to "Use my preference emphasising: Performance"

Then I open DOTA 2, still the FPS is dropping, from 90-100fps, after 1-2mins it's dropping to 10-15fps while adapter is plugged

I also tried to unplug the adapter, the game is bit smooth, sometimes lagging but not much.

HP Recommended

@Jayson_24

Thank you for replying with this detailed response 😉 

I appreciate your time and efforts,

There are a few more things you can do to decrease game FPS drops/lagging,

Here's what you need to do: 

• Go to Start Menu > click on Settings. 

• Type performance > choose Adjust the appearance and performance of Windows.  

• In the new window, go to the Visual Effects and select Adjust for best performance. 

• click Apply and ok...this should do the trick. 

If the issue persists, The best way to resolve the issue is to follow the suggestions of the HP Guided Troubleshooter:  Click here to access it (simply select your description of the issue from the bottom of the screen to gain access to the next set of steps that should resolve your concern). 

Let me know how that pans out

feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon,

followed by clicking on 'Accepted as Solution' as it would help the community gain more knowledge,

And Have a great day Ahead!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Dear

As i followed your instruction, Visual Effect selected to Best Performance, the I applied and click OK.

I run again the Game, still fps is dropping.

I clicked the link on HP Trouble Shooter

1)

Ensure the PC meets software or game requirements
Before installing new software, applications, or games, verify PC system requirements to avoid computer or program slowness or freezing.

*I am pretty sure that my computer has met the minimum requirements to run DOTA 2, Diablo 3, etc.

2)

Run Program Compatibility troubleshooter
Many issues with programs that are designed for previous versions of Windows can be fixed with the Program Compatibility troubleshooter.
In Windows, search for and open Run programs made for a previous version of Windows.

*I don't know this step will work, Since I purchased this Laptop a week ago, windows 10 is preinstalled, I don't need to downgrade to windows 8.

3)

Performance and Lockup Issues

Reduce heat inside the notebook computer to prevent overheating
Heat buildup can cause various problems. The most common cause of overheating is the accumulation of dust inside the notebook. The sound of the fan running constantly may indicate that the notebook is getting hot and is not running as efficiently as possible and that there is a problem with accumulated dust clogging the air vents.

*Im sure there is no dust clogging the air vents, because this is new.

4)

Update drivers through HP Support Assistant 8 or install latest drivers from support.hp.com
Use HP Support Assistant to automatically update Drivers and HP software. If your system does not have support assistant installed, either install HPSA or download drivers from hp.com.
HP recommends using HP Support Assistant on a regularly scheduled basis. Run HP Support Assistant to scan your computer and get the status of any available maintenance tasks and check for important HP driver updates.
NOTE: Make sure you are using HP Support Assistant version 8, or later. Download the current version of HP Support Assistant from the HP Support Assistant webpage.

*I already updated the drivers (BIOS, Graphics, Chipset, etc) in HP Support Assistant, some drivers can't detect the update here so that I download it manually here in HP website. But still nothing happened.. FPS is still dropping during the game.

5)

Perform an HP System Recovery - Windows 10
If you have tried the troubleshooting steps and your computer is still not working properly, perform an HP System Recovery. For instructions, see Performing an HP System Recovery (Windows 10).

*I also did this. I reset my laptop on Factory Reset, then update the Drivers. Still FPS is dropping during the game..

I don't know what exactly the problem, maybe on hardware or maybe in Adapter, because I read some topic here regarding is FPS drop, they recommended to use 150Watt Adapter, right now I am using 65 watt adapter which is included in the package. 

HP Recommended

@Jayson_24

Thank you for replying with this detailed response 😉 

I appreciate your time and efforts,

As I mentioned before, this laptop isn't designed for gaming, that said, if you still want to pursue this issue, you may want to upgrade the RAM, get a cooling pad for your device and use the most basic visual effects in-game and for windows to decrease the FPS drops.

Let me know how that pans out

feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon,

followed by clicking on 'Accepted as Solution' as it would help the community gain more knowledge,

And Have a great day Ahead!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Dear,

I know this is not a gaming laptop, as i mention early it is set on minimum setting/basic visual effect, still fps is dropping while ac adapter is plugged. I have an old HP core i3 4gb ram but it can run the game without any problem. How much more on core i7 12gb ram with 4gb videocard?

Anyway, thank you for your effort, i really appreciate it.
HP Recommended

@Jayson_24

Thank you for responding,

I'm glad you appreciate my efforts,

That said, the parts you are referring to are more than enough for the game to run,

However, the chassis design is not made to withstand high-performance gaming and hence creates issues such as FPS drops, overheating and lagging.

I wish there was more I could do to help, however, I'm afraid we are at the end of the line.

If I have helped you identify the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner,

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Old v$ new
i3 v$ i7
4gb ram v$ 12gb ram with 4gb video card
Both not design for gaming
But my old i3 4gb ram can run dota 2 without dropping fps
My new i7 12gb ram with 4gb video can run also but laggy when adapter is connected.

I regret for buying this useless laptop..
HP Recommended

@Jayson_24

I have escalated your concern to HP’s Support Team in your region to have it reviewed for available options, if any.  You should be contacted within 4 business days (Excluding holidays & Weekends).  

Response times may vary by region. Please send a Private Message, if you aren’t contacted within 4-5 business days.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.