Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion - 15-bc202nq
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently bought an HP Pavilion laptop, model 15-bc202nq (which is almost identical to 15-bc202na except it comes with 8GB of RAM).

I also just found out about the switchable graphics feature, which applies to this laptop. It has both an integrated Intel GPU and a discrete nVidia GeForce 1050 GPU. I'd like to be able to set the nVidia GPU to always be the active one, in the so-called fixed graphics mode. However, the BIOS menu does not contain this setting. Is this normal? I have the latest BIOS version by the way (F.36). I also have the latest Windows 10 Creators Update and the latest nVidia drivers.

I also know I can selectively choose in the nVidia Control Panel which applications should use which GPU, but I want the entire Windows graphics subsystem to use that GPU, and this is not possible to select in the Control Panel. Also, the entries for applications such as media players can't seem to allow anything other than the integrated GPU.

One of the reasons I want the discrete GPU to be always active is a performance glitch I notice frequently: when the UAC prompt is triggered, the laptop seems to freeze for about a second - there is no input from the mouse, and I tried it with both Bluetooth and wired mice. Since the integrated GPU is responsible for rendering Windows, I suspect there are situations when it bottlenecks and maybe this would be solved by switching to the more powerful nVidia GPU.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Gabriel_S

Thank you for responding 😉 

I appreciate your time.

I did some research on your concern and it seems that the Nvidia can only be optimized if the Optimus hardware is included with the Nvidia graphics card as mentioned in this article: Click here.

I'm afraid your PC specifications confirm that the Optimus hardware is either not included or disabled in graphics card as per HP guidelines.

keep me in the loop and Good luck! 😉

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@Gabriel_S

Welcome to HP Forums, 

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips, 

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂 

As I understand you need information on fixed graphics mode as its not available for HP Pavilion laptop with nVidia GPU,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

Did you know that the discrete graphics is system managed?

If you didn't, I'm afraid that's a fact we need to accept,

Due to the same you cannot change the time it needs to work or how long it should work using which video card and when.

Also, the UAC doesn't make any changes to the way you discrete graphics works, if you wish to improve the performance and stop the glitches,

Simply follow the steps mentioned on this link: Adjusting visual effects for best performance

Keep me posted for further assistance 😉

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@Riddle_Decipher: Thanks for taking the time to look into my question.

So, what I understand from your reply is that the fixed graphics mode is not available at all to HP laptops with nVidia GPUs. Is this correct? I was expecting it to be possible, since i saw some articles around here describing how to switch to fixed graphics mode for laptops with AMD GPUs. I find it odd that it's possible with AMD GPUs but not with nVidia ones.

Also, it's quite disappointing that the integrated Intel GPU can not even keep up with the 2D Windows effects that shouldn't even be that demanding, maxed out or not. Another good reason to switch to and always use the discrete GPU instead.

HP Recommended

@Gabriel_S

Thank you for replying with this overwhelming and detailed response 😉 

I appreciate your time and efforts,

Perhaps, I should have been more precise and so, I must let you know that the HP Laptops have the discrete graphics,

however, the options to change or cycle between the discrete and the other is limited to the system managed operations.

For more details on (Click here) Switchable Graphics on Notebooks Configured with Intel and ATI GPUs

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well, 

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@Riddle_Decipher

The article you mentioned only refers to ATI GPUs, it says nothing about nVidia GPUs. The Catalyst Control software only works with ATI GPUs. Anyway, it looks like forcing the fixed mode is possible with ATI GPUs and the latest BIOS versions, and it's not strictly limited to system managed operations. Is there a reason why this is not possible with nVidia GPUs?

HP Recommended

@Gabriel_S

Thank you for responding 😉 

I appreciate your time.

I did some research on your concern and it seems that the Nvidia can only be optimized if the Optimus hardware is included with the Nvidia graphics card as mentioned in this article: Click here.

I'm afraid your PC specifications confirm that the Optimus hardware is either not included or disabled in graphics card as per HP guidelines.

keep me in the loop and Good luck! 😉

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@Riddle_Decipher

I understand now, thank you once again for your time!

HP Recommended

@Gabriel_S

Thank you for the update,

I appreciate your time and efforts, 

I'm glad you found the solution you were looking for. 

Thanks for taking the time to let the community know about the solution

You've been great to work with and it has been a genuine pleasure interacting with you.

I hope both you and your product works great and remain healthy for a long time 😉 

Take care now and do have a fabulous week ahead. 🙂

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.