Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have a HP pavilion DV6Z Quad edition laptop that's almost 2 months old. For the last couple of days I've been getting horizontal flickering static lines on the display. I can shut the machine down and re-start it and the problem goes away for a while. Does this sound like something that i need to contact HP warranty about or is this familiar to anyone out there. If so is there a simple fix? Thanks in advance for any help i get.

Rick C. (HP newbie)

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

I am having the same problem and I havent even had mine a month.. Mine is HP 2000... What am I supposed to do???

HP Recommended

ffbbs, Welcome to the Forum -

Things to Consider:

Make sure you don't have any interference -

If you are using a Power Strip, remove it and plug the unit into the wall.  See if that makes a difference.  If it does, replace the Power Strip.

Check the voltage at the wall - standard meter should not read less than 110 volts, you'll probably pick up 117 v with an RMS meter.

Make sure there isn't anything else in the vacinity that is interfering with the setup.  Maybe something has changed in the physical environment?

If all looks as it should, call this in to HP.  The computer is new - there's no reason to worry over it and the display may actually be bad.

I hope this helps.

Say “Thanks!” by clicking Kudos Star in the Post that helped you.

Mark a Post “Accepted Solution” to say your issue is solved.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

The charger is plugged into an extension cord with a box on the end with 3 outlets and an on/off switch. It has been plugged into this since I got the laptop. The voltage is 122.1 VAC checked with a Snapon DMM. The only thing in the room that could possibly give off any RFI is a LCD TV. The laptop is currently further away form the tv than it has been. There is a power strip plugged into one of the outletson the extension cord box but it is not in use. The only thing plugged into the power strip is the charger for my cell phone (wall wart with USB outlet). I dunno....I've checked all that kinda stuff....I'm a former HAM radio operator. I'm stumped unless the laptop has a problem.  😞

Rick C.

HP Recommended

Rats...

Still sounds like static buildup.

No speakers?

What is the computer sitting on?

Hmm.. What happens if you take the computer into the other end of the house?  Run it on battery?

Have you tried reloading the graphics driver?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hate to send it in - might be worth calling HP if you run out of options elsewise.  You can also CHAT - easy to do and no waiting.  I've used it.  Don't trust the "Print" option - write down all your numbers (confirmation, ticket numbers, phone, etc).  Otherwise, it's fine - and like I said, no waiting on the phone.  It's an option, anyway.

HP notebook CHAT:

http://h20180.www2.hp.com/apps/Nav?h_pagetype=s-006&h_lang=en&h_cc=us&h_product=321957&h_client=S-A-...

I had a DOA webcam - I had to send in my new dv7t after all else failed.  Backed up an image, stripped the unit to factory, sent it in - it took a little over a week to get it back.  When I got it back, I loaded the image and - Bam! back in business. 

I hope this helps.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Drag,

The laptop sits on a wooden "TV Tray" The only time I've seen the lines is after the laptop has been running for a full day. I guess I could run it on batteries until it dies and see if it happens. I haven't  tried another room yet..... may be worth a shot. I updated the AMD/Radeon video drivers before I started this inquiry. Also updated the BIOS. I checked and made sure all the video settings are set to the defaults. Nothing external connected to the laptop. The problem is intermittent and it's hard to tell what if any changes will solve the problem.

I agree.....RATS!  🙂

I really appreciate all your thoughts and suggestions!

@Dragon-Fur wrote:

Rats...

Still sounds like static buildup.

No speakers?

What is the computer sitting on?

Hmm.. What happens if you take the computer into the other end of the house?  Run it on battery?

Have you tried reloading the graphics driver?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hate to send it in - might be worth calling HP if you run out of options elsewise.  You can also CHAT - easy to do and no waiting.  I've used it.  Don't trust the "Print" option - write down all your numbers (confirmation, ticket numbers, phone, etc).  Otherwise, it's fine - and like I said, no waiting on the phone.  It's an option, anyway.

HP notebook CHAT:

http://h20180.www2.hp.com/apps/Nav?h_pagetype=s-006&h_lang=en&h_cc=us&h_product=321957&h_client=S-A-...

I had a DOA webcam - I had to send in my new dv7t after all else failed.  Backed up an image, stripped the unit to factory, sent it in - it took a little over a week to get it back.  When I got it back, I loaded the image and - Bam! back in business. 

I hope this helps.

HP Recommended

I had the line problem on 2 g6 models, both of which I returned. My sister has a Lenovo x120e that has the same problem.  A couple of fine white solid and dotted lines flickering along the top edge of the screen that would escalate at times to white and black lines jumping up and down the screen. I've read lots of comments about this problem on the HP support site as well as the Lenovo support site. I've only seen the problem mentioned on models with the AMD A series processors. Not sure if it's possibly a software glitch or hardware problem. I updated to the latest software and drivers which didn't help. I know that it only seems to occur after the screen has been turned off by the power management and turned back on by a mouse swipe or pressing a key, and it doesn't happen every time, which is confusing. If you shut off the screen time-out by selecting "never" on the power management menu, the problem seems to stop. Unfortunately if you use this remedy you must have the screen on all the time....... although, you can have the computer go to sleep and wake it up which doesn't seem to cause the lines; like I said before, it only happens when JUST the screen turns off and is turned back on. I think this could be inherent in all the AMD A series and not noticed by most people because the default screen time-out is set to 15 minutes so the screen probably never times-out for them, and doesn't effect them. I'm really disappointed though, because I really liked the idea of the APU, but don't want to risk that this problem is hardware based and might possibly get worse. I haven't seen any comments on the part of AMD. The Lenovo site's moderator says that they can't reproduce the problem. I guess I'll wait an while and see what happens before I buy again.

HP Recommended

ffbbs,

OK, not static.

Heat is the best candidate.  It sounds like the notebook is just heating up and saturating the display.

Here is Speccy - select the free one, save it and double click to install. 

Speccy has a heat monitor.  There are others - Search the forum for Posts.  All the monitors work well.  The point is to find out whether your computer is hot.

http://www.piriform.com/speccy/download

Consider:  Heat and dirt are your notebook's worst enemies.

Solution: 

• Notebook Coolers for under the notebook - good ones cost about $50 and up.  I use Zalman 2000 - nice, on/off switch, blue light, not made in China...
  • Elevation, even with a Cooler (between the notebook and the cooler) to provide lots of ventilation and moving air.  I use Hercules X-stands under every notebook in our home office.  You can get them at Amazon.
  • Buy cans of compressed air to blow out the vents on occasion to prevent dust buildup.

Wmbill has a good point - If yuou are running AMD, your computer may have "issues".  Your situation sounds a bit different - it may be related if the hardware is the same. 

I hope this helps.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

i have the exact same issue , tried to put it tho hibernate as wmbill mentionned and seems to work but i wonder how long it will last (and its brand new about 3 month old or so (pavilion dv6)) i wonder if its an overheating issue , but for now 43celcius

HP Recommended

I have the same problem. When my refurbished pavilion g4 laptop arrived in the mail, the screen immediately began showing this issue.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.