Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Gaming Laptop 17-cd1xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, bought my laptop in January. All was well until a Windows update a few weeks ago. Now screen flashes every 5-10 mins, pages load with a black background, MS Edge is misbehaving, screen has frozen a few times. Today typing in word, the screen kept flashing black. Does anyone have any ideas please? Thanks

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi@JK557, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I understand when you power on your laptop the screen keeps flickering on your laptop.

Don't worry I'll try to help you out.

Did you make any software or hardware changes on your PC?

Does the issue persist in BIOS?

As you mentioned when you power on your laptop the screen keeps flickering on your laptop.

If the issue does not persist in BIOS try updating the graphics driver and BIOS on your PC.

Try performing a BIOS default on your PC and check if it helps.

1. Turn off the computer and wait five seconds.
  2. Press the Power button to start the computer and repeatedly press the F10 key to enter the BIOS setup menu.
  3. On the BIOS Setup screen, press F9 to select and load the BIOS Setup Default settings.
  4. Press F10 to Save and Exit.
  5. Use the arrow keys to select Yes, then press Enter when asked Exit Saving Changes?
  6. Follow the prompts to restart your computer.

Also, Uninstall the graphics driver from the device manager and install the latest drivers and BIOS from the links below.

Link to update the BIOS.

Also, update the graphics driver using this link.

You can try updating the drivers on your PC using an HP support assistant.

Refer to this article to know more information about using HP support assistant.

Refer to this article to further troubleshoot display issues with your PC.

If the screen is flickering in BIOS, it is certainly a hardware issue with your PC.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.