cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Highlighted
6 3 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

Flickering screen issue (from bottom half downwards) on HP Spectre x360 13" 4K since day one

HP Recommended
HP Spectre 13-ae000 x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have switched in January 2018 from Mac (2010 MBP that is still working flowlessly after 8 years of use) to Windows (HP Spectre x360 13" with 4K display, Intel i8, 16GB RAM, 1TB PCIe M2, W10 PRO x64). 

Since out of the box, my HP laptop's 4K display has been flickering (from bottom half of screen downwards) at random moments.  When I removed it from the box and configured it, I showed it to my colleagues.  They were amazed, then after 10 minutes of use, the display started to flicker.  They all laughted at me and said that I'd better return it and get my money back.  I first contacted HP Support who told me to update the display drivers, but this never fixed this random issue.  I was hopeful that this issue would ahve been quickly sorted out.  I read multiple HP forum and I noticed that everyone using this laptop , has this same issue and there is still no solution.  I keep installing every new Intel display drivers as they get released, hoping to get this flickering issue fixed, but so far no luck.   I tried all suggestions from web forums, but none solved this flickering issue.  BTW, switching to 30Hz is not a solution for someone who purchased a laptop with a 60Hz 4K display.

It's amazing that HP doesn't even acknowledge there is a real issue that needs to be addressed.  It's very disappointing to see this type of behavior destroy HP's reputation.  I've had my Laptop for 5 months now.  I really like it, but this issue disgusts me, specially as you can't predict when the flickering is going to happen.  I should have returned this laptop on day one.

Can HP address this random flickering issue on their HP Spectre x360 laptops?

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
6,247 6,228 313 462
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@PJG972

Welcome to HP Forums, 

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips, 

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂 

I have escalated your concern to HP's Support Team in your region to have it reviewed for available options (if any). 

You should be contacted within 4 business days (Excluding Holidays & Weekends). 

Response times may vary by region. 

Please send a Private Message, if you aren't contacted within 4-5 business days.  

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (such as serial numbers and case details).

And Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well, 

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead. 😉

Barachiel
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 1 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Exact same here. Laptop has even gone out for repair. Updated bios, drivers, complete clean install of graphic drivers.. nothing. I read tons of forums about this issue. When is HP going to give a real solution?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 2
25 25 1 3
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Exact same problem here with ac0036ng (Spectre x360, i7 Gen.7, 4k, 1TB).

In the beginning I had random freeze (felt mouse/keyboard lagging for several seconds) then screen flickering while the freeze disappear. Only solution is to close lid for several seconds (which does just power off screen).

No solution so far. Had the device in for repair. They just installed Windows again which did not solve the problem. Never had the problem so far when using my TB3 dock. Only, when using mobile on battery power.

Tried drivers from Intel directly as well es using uninstall tool and all variations of BIOS and HP drivers.

Also there is no cell phone or other strong sender nearby when it happens.

Highlighted
Author
6 3 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Now, it's getting worse (after 10 months with my HP Spectre x360 13t) my screen goes black when I restart the laptop.  Frustrating!  Sending it to repair as it's still under warranty.  Let's hope HP is NOT just going to reinstall the OS.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 2
25 25 1 3
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It also got worse for me in the last few month. Now, I installed the newest Intel HD620 driver from the webpage. It is too early to judge the result but so far it looks better than before (however, this was the case already before but of no long success).

Would be great to hear about your experience with the HP support!

Good luck!

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation