Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Over the past few months I've been experiencing an issues that has been very frustrating to diagnose and fix. any help would be very much appreciated.

games work fine on the computer until I switch power outlets. I'll have a steady 40 fps   -> unplug the machine (to sit at the couch or elsewhere) and frames would drop to 8fps. Honestly I don't mind that, the Nvidia gpu needs to be plugged in I suppose. -> Problem is when I reintroduce power to the machine performance does not return to the optimal state it was in before and no mater how many times I restart the game or machine the performance will only come back on its own terms. I have found no reliable way to fix this problem

Symptoms:

heavy performance drop in both gpu and cpu

load times increased

fps drop

temperature limited to 65C in gpu

(i think the computer runs hot when this is happening, the fan is constantly active even when no programs are running)

things I've been doing:

all settings in graphics are set to performance as well as the battery modes

double and triple checked updates

reinstalled the game (until I realized it was affecting more then just one game)

did bios update from HP and checked if windows had one

I worked with Nvidia twice thinking it was a gpu issue

Cleaned all fans for cooling w/ compressed air

I'm willing to reformate but want it to be the last resort (naturally) 

thanks for help or ideas

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Hausofnaus

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

In order that I may provide you with an accurate solution, I will need a few more details and I would appreciate if you could, perhaps elaborate on your concern.

• What is the exact model for your computer?
  • What is the operating system you are using?
  • Have you made any software or hardware changes on the computer?
  • When was the last time the computer was working fine? 

Look forward to hearing from you and you have a great day!

Take care.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for reaching out.

-HP Pavilion - 15-cs3073cl

-Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

-No changes to hardware, and software installed has only been Games from verified distributers, i.e. steam,

Microsoft and some adobe applications and.. well that's about it.

-I've also messed with a bunch of settings, especially relating to power but only after I noticed the issue.

-Reflecting back on it I'd have to say more then half a year since I noticed this being a problem.

HP Recommended

@Hausofnaus

Thank you for the information.

I recommend you update the BIOS and the graphics driver from the below link and check if it helps.

BIOS: https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp111001-111500/sp111213.exe

Intel: https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp102001-102500/sp102122.exe

Nvidia: https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp111001-111500/sp111077.exe

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.