Locked topic

This topic has been locked due to inactivity for a long period of time. If you have a question, please create a new topic by clicking here.
christostsi Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

G62 ATI Mobility 5470 switchable graphics failure

G62-b50sv
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi.

this laptops comes with switchable graphics: ati mobility randeon hd 5470 and intel hd graphics.

ATI card recently failed, and shows only black screen.

I want to use permanently the intel hd graphics which are working fine.

only way that succeeded is boot into safe mode and uninstall ati graphics card.

Problem is, when I log into windows, it tries automaticaly to install again the ati card driver and when it does, black screen again and i have to go all over it again.

is there a way to disable this behavior and have by default windows using intel hd graphics?

I've tried everything i can but every time my computer tries too install the ATI card again. Really frustrating. waiting forward for a reply.

(i've checked a similar thread in here but it was no help, and my graphics card has failed permanently as it seems)

2 REPLIES
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
16542 952 2191
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey @christostsi,

Welcome to the HP Support Community! 

I have read about your HP G62-b50SV Notebook and issues with wanted to stop using the ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470 Graphics. I would go to the Device Manager and just disable the driver. That way it will not reinstall it and it would be disabled.

Please let me know how this goes.

To show appreciation for my efforts kindly click the Thumbs Up below.

Thanks. 

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.

I work on behalf of HP
christostsi Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

thank you kindly for your answer.

when I disable the device or driver, windows automaticaly enables it when computer is starting up and that leaves me with black screen again.

The way it works now is by uninstalling the device (ati 5470) but not the driver, as unfortunately it seems that the intell hd graphics driver is part of it! so if I remove also the driver, Intel hd graphics also don't work and there is the minimal resolution as in safe mode.

So, for now, every time i boot up i have to quickly navigate to device manager and remove ati card before windows finishes installing it again.

problem not solved, but thank you.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation