Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 14 Notebook PC (HP 14-N001TX)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello everyone,
My laptop is equipped with AMD Radeon HD 8670M graphics according to HWinfo. However, when I go into the dxdiag tool, it says the following:
"There is a problem with AMD Radeon HD 8600M Series device. For more information, search for 'graphics device driver error code 39' "

I've tried installing the driver manually as well as through the AMD Auto Detect Software, but every time the driver gets installed, the computer stops working and freezes. When I reboot the computer, sometimes it freezes at the windows logo and most times it reaches the startup screen and freezes. I had to go through CMD and delete the drivers manually each time, then the computer booted without any problem.

I would very much appreciate if anyone could assist me to install the correct driver for the graphic card in the laptop and actually take advantage of it and use it???

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@aadeshhhhh 

According to this HP product page, your model either has Intel or Nvidia graphics, not AMD:  https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-Pavilion-14-Notebook-PC-series/5401217/model/542...

So, forcing the installation of an AMD driver would crash your PC.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Hello, thankyou for the response.
I tried  installing the Nvidia drivers recommended by HP but the driver installation did not go through because  it didn't find compatible hardware. I have been looking for other solutions but I am unable to find any. Is there any other option. I'm pretty sure it's a radeon graphics as HWinfo also says it's a Radeon HD 8670M as well as the sticker on the laptop.

HP Recommended

@aadeshhhhh 

Well .. then you're basically out of luck as the drivers that AMD provides generally don't work well with laptops.

Don't know why the HP site does not provide AMD drivers, since the sticker on your model clearly indicates AMD hardware.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.