Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Spectre x360 13-t ae-000
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My Spectre x360 has developed a very anoying habit. Every time I flip the screen back from 'Tablet mode' to 'Laptop mode', one or more grey rectangles appear on the display, covering whatever sits on the screen at that moment - see the photo.

I am yet to find a solution to this problem other than rebooting Windows - which, obviously, is less than ideal...

Wondering if anyone else has similar experience.

2018-10-29 (2).png

@PiotrJJ

Thank you for joining HP Forums.

It's a pleasure assisting you in finding answers to your technical queries.

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

How long are you facing this issue?

Have you tried any troubleshooting steps on your own?

Are you facing this issue after the windows update?

Are you facing this issue on a particular browser?

Did you try with a different browser or application?

Could you please help me with the exact product number or the model name to assist you better.

Try updating the BIOS and Graphics using this link: https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers 

Eager to assist you!

Cheers:)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

Raj,

Thanks for getting back to me. In answer to your questions:

• The issue first appeared several weeks ago; perhaps even a couple of months back...
  • I have not yet tried troubleshootiung the issue myself... it's an odd one, and I am unsure where to start, to be honest;
  • There must have been at least two Windows updates since this issue first appeared... and, it wasn't bugging me before... so there is definitely some kind of relationship here, though it wasn't just one specific Windows update causing it, I guess;
  • The issue does not appear to be browser nor application specific - it seems to be triggered by flipping the display back from Tablet mode, no matter what software I am using at a moment; for instance, with minimal number of processes running, the grey rectangles still appear on my desktop;
  • HP Support Assistant claims I have the latest BIOS and Display/Graphics driver installed;
  • HP Spectre x360 Convertible 13-ae0xx, Product number 1WU64AAR

@PiotrJJ

It looks like you were interacting with @Raj1788, but he is out for the day. I'm KrazyToad & I'm at your service. 

Please download and run the HP Support Assistant from this Link: https://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/hpsupport.html?jumpid=va_r602_us/en/any/psg/p...

The HPSA will automatically search for all the latest drivers for your Notebook

1. Click My devices in the top menu, and then click Updates in the My PC or My notebook pane.

Click Updates in the My notebook pane

2. Click Check for updates and messages to scan for new updates.

Updates list in HP Support Center

3. Review the list of updates. Updates with a yellow information icon are recommended. Updates with a blue information icon are optional.

4. Click the update name for a description, version number, and file size.

5. Select the box next to any updates you want to install, and then click Download and install.

Also ensure Windows is up to date

Keep me posted how it goes

Thank you 😊

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks, KrazyToad,

Please check second to last bullet point in my previous post.

Best,

JJ

@PiotrJJ

Thanks for keeping me posted. My apologies for missing out that point

If the issue started recently we can try a System Restore to an earlier time before the issue started

- Select the Start button, type control panel and then choose it from the list of results.
- Search Control Panel for Recovery.
- Select Recovery > Open System Restore > Next.
- Choose the restore point prior to the start of the issue and then select Next > Finish.

Keep me posted

Thank you

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

@KrazyToad

No problem at all. Yes, restoring the system is always an option, although, it is also going to wipe out all the 'good' things that recently happened to my Spectre.

Using System Restore would be my last resort. For now, I am more interested in getting to the bottom of things and identifying the root cause of the issue - to eliminate it in a more 'micro surgical' fashion. 

@PiotrJJ

I understand your concerns

I have sent you a private message with the next course of action

Please check your private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile.

Next to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.