Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Specter x360 convertible
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My warranty expired on March 12, and my computer at the time was giving me a slight issue with the screen refusing to turn on from sleep mode sometimes, but that wasn't that big of a problem because I normally use hibernate anyways. Also turning up the display brightness would cause vertical lines to show if a bright pixel was in that column, but it had done this ever sense I got the laptop so I just refrained from turning the brightness all the way up. 

Today I opened up my laptop and started it up and the screen was vertically glitching out so much it is unusable with the inbuilt screen. I have a video but I can't seem to find a way to post it.

The first thing I did after finding this out was going to the hp support site and search for my warranty, which had just expired. I am irritated with the fact that this would happened right after the warranty expired. I attempted to try and fix the problem myself but the back of the laptop is very well put on the laptop and I scared I'd break it trying to get in. 

I need this computer and I can't seem to understand why this would happen right after the warranty expired. I do have a video showing whats going on with the screen, but again I don't know how to post it. I'm not quite sure what's quite safe to post here, so if you need anything else please let me know.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Update: After some combating with the computer, plugging it into TV's and monitors to get it into working order, I was able to use the computer through my TV screen. However, everything would be fine until I tried to play a video on chrome, where the tv would constantly disconnect and reconnect when the video was paused.  At first, I thought that this might be because of my TV's refresh rate, but then I got bored again and went to play a game, which I found to be running all too well without any problems, yet playing videos would still disconnect the tv. I knew my problem then: the uphill battle of switchable graphics.

At first, I tried to disable the integrated graphics entirely by disabling the firmware in the Device Manager, but this just made it so the computer had no idea the TV was connected, and the screen was still messed up, and in very low resolution. It was clear windows was compensating for the lack of a GPU and was software rendering instead. This is probably because the integrated graphics get all the information and then passes it to the dedicated, instead of having a communications unit to determine what should go where beforehand. With a few keyboard shortcuts and some time I was able to get the image back on the TV by reenabling the integrated graphics. Promptly I went to the Intel graphics settings and disabled any video enhancements and power-saving settings. This has kind-of resolved my problems... by that, I mean that the bios is no longer an option. When the computer starts up it still gives me the same problem, the hp simple will be indistinguishable, till that goes away and windows officially starts up and windows works perfectly fine.

Now all I have to say is this is a +1 to the rising Integrated Graphics sham. All I can ask is that in the future, are computers won't require us to use subpar graphics builds, regardless if they take the load off the dedicated or not.

HP Recommended

@SkyStarAntilux

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

• When was the last time it worked without these issues?
  • Have you updated Graphics and Chipset drivers?

let’s try these steps to resolve the problem:

I recommend you attempt to access the BIOS screen by tapping on F10 while the computer is restarting, 

If the issue persists in the BIOS screen which is outside windows, it would confirm a hardware failure.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

So yesterday I opened up my laptop and had to convert it to 40Hz and connect it to my tv. I didn't have to use the tv screen, but for some reason having the tv screen plugged into the HDMI port stabilized the screen at 40 Hz. 

This morning I opened up my laptop and decided to test it again and I'm back to 60Hz without the use of the HDMI cable.

@Echo_Lake

I had updated my graphics multiple times to make sure I didn't have any graphics discontinuity. I had a problem with an Alienware laptop and keeping the graphics up to date was always the fix so I adopted making sure they were always on the latest build.

I hadn't thought about the chipsets because I have the HP support updater that is supposed to be keeping everything HP releases up to date. However, this clearly isn't the case because I went the drivers page for my computer and there was a BIOS version higher than mine that the HP support application did not notify me about. So I have now updated the BIOS and downloaded the chipset drivers again clicking install and fix installation when the windows popped up and still I'm having the same issue. I don't know how windows is capable of stabilizing the screen while it's running, but the BIOS screen still shows this problem.

Here are some pics and a video that I took yesterday while I still had to have the tv plugged it...

Picture on the computer in the bios 

Picture while I was updating the BIOS 

Video of me leaving the BIOS and starting up the computer (Turns out I used the slow-mo cam on my phone for this, and for that I am sorry. Please forgive the background noise.)

HP Recommended

@SkyStarAntilux

Thank you for posting back. 

This sounds like hardware related issue with the computer as it's not powering on. 

I would request you to reach out to our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to sort this out. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance. Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.