Grump Tutor
Tutor
12 0 0
Message 10 of 12
Flag Post

HP 15 Notebook crackles at hinge when opening up

This is on the left hinge right now but it looks like the right one is going to go that way too.

When I open up the lid, the front and back halves of the screen assembly sort of twist away from each other and that movement generates a worrisome cracking sound.  The displacement reduces to almost zero if I open with my thumb/finger on the left side of the lid.

I've opened up quite a few notebooks over the years, but this one does not have a plastic bezel around the housing, nor any places with concealed screws like underneat rubber bumpers. So is there some "exploded view" of the lid assembly where I can figure out how to open this thing up and re-connect/re-snap/reinforce/tighten screws? to correct this?

I think that just gluing the two plastic pieces goes more to the symptom than the real problem.

HP Product Number:
J9H11UAR#ABA

Windows 10 Home
Version 1511
OS Build 10586.164

Processor:
AMD A8-6410 APU with AMD Radeon R5 Graphics 2.00 GHz

Installed RAM:
8.00 GB (6.96 GB usable)

System Type:
64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Pen and touch:
Touch support with 10 touch points

Thanks!

11 REPLIES
Highlighted
Grump Tutor
Tutor
12 0 0
Message 1 of 12
Flag Post

SORRY--I ORIGINALLY TITLED THIS AS AN HP 35. That was two computers ago, this one is a 15.

HP Notebook - 15-f111dx (ENERGY STAR)

Not sure this is where it belongs. The first 50 results of what I thought was a narrow Google search had nothing matching this, and a lot of lockup after password results.

While working on the computer, including actively typing, the screen will "blink" black for at least a full second, then come back to wherever I was before. Then a few seconds later, it blinks again and the password screen appears.

The machine is well-ventilated and it not doing any processor-intensive gaming stuff.

It is similar to a screensaver re-login. Pressing enter after the password returns me to the same place almost instantly.

This has continued even after I have done at least two each, virus scan (Avast), malware scan (Malware Bytes), and spyware scan (SuperAntiSpyware).

There's also plente of gigs of space left on the hard drive, 8 gigs of RAM, and Task Manager says there's still unused memory and the processor is somewhere less than 80% occupied.

So what gives????

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
3798 200 430
Message 2 of 12
Flag Post

Hi @Grump,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums! It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. I understand you are having an issue with the screen flashing black . I will be glad to help you.

Please post the full product number and operating system in use on your computer. See the following, if you need help with that information.
How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?
Is the Windows Version on My Computer 32-bit or 64-bit?

Please get back to me, so I can help you.

Tardis40
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos
Grump Tutor
Tutor
12 0 0
Message 3 of 12
Flag Post

Okay.

First, please tell the geniuses at Microsoft that it would be REALLY NICE if we could use the usual Windows highlight and copy thing to pull our system info from Settings --> System --> About so it's easier for us lowly users to tell techs exactly what machine and OS build is misbehaving.

Product ID:

00326*10000-00000-AA938

Windows 10 Home

Version 1511

OS Build 10586.164

Processor:

AMD A8-6410 APU with AMD Radeon R5 Graphics 2.00 GHz

Installed RAM:

8.00 GB (6.96 GB usable)

System Type:

64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Pen and touch:

Touch support with 10 touch points

This happens during any interval from full moon to new moon, then along the rest of the cycle back to the full moon.

Only at about 3,000 ft altitude, have not traveled out of town with it for a while.

Humidity levels between 10% and 80%

Seems to happen with several different software packages--MS-Word, Corel WordPerfect, MS-Excel, Chrome Browser, and others.

0 Kudos
Grump Tutor
Tutor
12 0 0
Message 4 of 12
Flag Post

Beuhler???

Beuhler???

Anyone???

0 Kudos
Grump Tutor
Tutor
12 0 0
Message 5 of 12
Flag Post

What more information is needed?

I can't be the only one this is happening to...........???

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
3798 200 430
Message 6 of 12
Flag Post

Hi @Grump,

Please look at document on how to find product number.

I will help you when I get the correct product number.

Tardis40
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos
Grump Tutor
Tutor
12 0 0
Message 7 of 12
Flag Post

Just a note that I edited the subject line. It's an HP 15. The original was a mistake...two computers ago...they both end with a "5"...

0 Kudos
Grump Tutor
Tutor
12 0 0
Message 8 of 12
Flag Post

Thanks.

So

Product ID:

00326*10000-00000-AA938

is not the product number? Okay, now I see that's one of the Windows OS numbers. Sorry.

Now I can't remember where I found some stuff...looking...wish it was part of the "system info". Think it was back in the days of Windows 7???

Okay, found it:

J9H11UAR#ABA

0 Kudos
Grump Tutor
Tutor
12 0 0
Message 9 of 12
Flag Post

I'm positive this is the HP product number for the HP 15 notebook:

J9H11UAR#ABA

Anyone?????

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation