Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

(HP 2000 Notebook PC / Windows 8.1, 64 Bit) Blank screen always, external monitor works fine. What components could be malfunctioning? This occured about six  months ago, approximately one week after the one year warranty expired. Nonfortuitous.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

As you are confirming that issue is intermittent, and now its working fine, it means that issue would be of display cable. The display cable would be loose. Issue can be fixed by refixing the display cable, if the issue persists then the display cable needs to be replaced.

This is the only reason, I asked you in the previous post whether issue was intermittent or display view changed while moving the display lid.

This particualr issue has nothing to do with the temperature.

Regards,

Sumit

I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi,

Could be a display cable failure or if it is very dim display then backlight problem..

HP Recommended

If it is a display cable failure then how do you (I) fix it? What is the part # and where do I order it ? Any repair instructions, tips would be helpful and appreciated. How do I discern what the problem is, between the two possibilities?

HP Recommended

Hi 

Please contact to HP Technical support for  further assistance.

I am an HP Employee.
The opinions expressed here are my personal opinions, not of HP.
This program is for making it easier for other people to find solutions, by giving an answer. Please click on “Accept as Solution” if it solves the system problem.
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
HP Recommended

Please provide the Product number for your notebook..then i'll be able to give you the right part number..

For Dim display issue if you use a flash light and point it on the screen you'll actually see the screen behind....And for display cable failure there will be no display or blurry..lines etc..

HP Recommended

Hi,

Once the notebook is powered on, keep tapping F10 key to boo to bios mode.

If same display issue is reported in bios mode- it is confirmed as hardware failure.

It may be issue with raw panel or display cable.

To isolate the issue, please check moving the display lid to and fro (or moving it at different angles), it at any angle display comes back or the display light changes- it would be issue with display cable, else issue with panel.

Regards,
Sumit

I am an HP Employee.

The opinions expressed here are my personal opinions, not of HP.
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking an answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.

Click on Thumbs up if my post helped you.

HP Recommended

Computer beeps when I startup or reboot while tapping the f10 key. The external monitor will not display whilst I do this. What is it supposed to do ? The laptop display is actually lit (grey) and not totally black. Moving the screen to and fro does not seem to make a difference. Again, is it possible for me to repair this problem or should I forget about it and chalk it up as another unfortunate life experience; You get what you pay for; etc. Should I just move on? What would an authorized HP service center charge to fix my computer. Why did this happpen to a thirteen month old computer? Is this a common malady? What is the solution? Earlier I asked for part numbers and so again. Any valid suggestions?

HP Recommended

It is very sad to learn that you faced this issue within thirteen months of purchase. As per your steps mentioned, it seems to be issue with raw panel. I would suggest you to get in touch with technical support team and they would suggest you with next plan of events. 

Regards,

Sumit

HP Recommended

My laptop screen is working again right now. So what could cause the intermittency, faulty display cable or the backlight gizmo? The laptop is good and warmed up because its in the sunroom and its 97 degrees plus here right now. What would you recommend as far as troubleshooting goes?

HP Recommended

Hi,

As you are confirming that issue is intermittent, and now its working fine, it means that issue would be of display cable. The display cable would be loose. Issue can be fixed by refixing the display cable, if the issue persists then the display cable needs to be replaced.

This is the only reason, I asked you in the previous post whether issue was intermittent or display view changed while moving the display lid.

This particualr issue has nothing to do with the temperature.

Regards,

Sumit

I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.