Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Unfortunately I didn't have a lot of time in the past days, but even manual installation fails. It says that some service is missing or not running. This is very confusing and doesn't make any sense to me. Which Windows service is linked to the keyboard? The other keys are working, so typing in Word is no problem, it's just the HP keys and FN keys that won't work.

Anyways, I just found out that the sound mic/headphone jack is not working - I guess it's just another driver issue. As I said in my initial post, I've managed to install the Realtek R281 drivers as those are W7 64x ready. Sound seems to work, there is a Realtek HD Audio symbol in the device manager and when I try using headphones, a small Realtek pop up comes up "new device detected". Unfortunately there is no sound coming through the headphones - only the speakers seems to work. 

According to the HP manual, it's a new mic/phone combo jack - do I need a special pair of headphones here? I'm using old headphones only without any mic. Or do you think this might be a driver related issue? Do you know any other Realtek drivers I could use? 

I'll post the USB 3.1 solution later.

EDIT: the headphones work! Is there a way to auto-mute the speakers when the headphones are plugged? I can't find this setting in the Realtek HD Audio Manager.

HP Recommended

I think you have the latest W7 driver for the Realtek audio, and unfortunately I don't know how to stop the sound from playing out of the speakers and headphones at the same time.

See if this newer W7 Hotkey driver version works.   It is a lot newer than the other one I posted.

The only problem with this version is there is no way to try and manually install the driver.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp81501-82000/sp81790.exe

HP Recommended

For the Realtek Audio problem not muting speakers when headphones are plugged:

First I found this solution but there was no such option available in my Realtek HD Audio manager so it didn't work:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebooks-Archive-Read-Only/Speakers-won-t-turn-off-when-headphones-ar...

I guess the Realtek R281 is not the best driver for the HP 250 G7 and W7 64.

Then I've found this:

https://appuals.com/fix-realtek-hd-audio-manager-headphones-and-speakers-show-up-as-same-device/

After uninstalling the Realtek HD Audio driver and restarting, Windows 7 auto detected the HD Audio device and it is working now! When using headphones, the speakers are muted - unplug the headphones and the sound output switches back to the speakers.

Thanks for your hint installing the SP81790 drivers. Even though the installation worked and the HP Keypad Software is found in the systems "installed software" list, there is no symbol or anything in the device manager. I tried FN + mute key and others but it does nothing even though the installation was successful.

As you can increase/decrease volume/mute sound, increase/decrease brightness and other settings manually, the missing FN keys is not really a big deal to me - so I think it's not worth wasting more time with this issue.

The only devices that I couldn't find any solutions/drivers for is the touchpad and the webcam which is not needed anyway. For now, I'll just get him a USB mouse to avoid the touchpad issue.

HP Recommended

Hi

I have same issue with a  250 g7 how did you get the usb working??

Thanks

Andy

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.