Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Chromebook 11-v010nr
Chrome OS

My HP Chromebook 11-v010nr touchpad failed today.  This is the second one that I bought that has failed; the first was one I bought for my sister and it failed before the warranty expired and was repaired.  This computer is past its warranty, so If I can't fix it myself I will have to shelve it or use it with a USB mouse.  I have tried the finger drumroll on the touchpad, repeatedly keying 'escape', restarting, etc.   In attempting to restore function, one site suggested (below) pressing and holding Refresh and tapping power shutdown.  I have no idea where the 'Refresh' key is.  

h30434.www3.hp.com › t5 › Notebook-Video-Display-and

Touchpad on Chromebook not working

1) Turn off your Chromebook. 

2) Press and hold Refresh Refresh + tap Power Shut down. 

3) When your Chromebook starts up, release Refresh Refresh.

One unexpected benefit of being forced to use the USB mouse instead of the touchpad is that I have access to 'right-click' on this machine. 

How do I fix the touchpad without sending the Chromebook to HP for product replacement or repair?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@LeeSalsbery, Welcome to HP Support Community!

If your touchscreen isn't working, try these steps. Test after each step to see whether your touchscreen works.

1. Wipe off any dust or dirt on your touchscreen.
  2. Reset your Chromebook hardware.
  3. Reset your Chromebook to factory settings.

(This is a third-party link. Please do not click on any ad, image, download, popup or link or anywhere else as this is a third-party link meant only for viewing information).

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

My Chromebook Touchpad isn't working, not the touchscreen (my Chromebook doesn't have a touchscreen).  Moving my finger on the touchpad doesn't display or move the cursor, and if I use a USB mouse to place the cursor over an on-screen button, the button area of the touchpad won't click it.  

HP Recommended

@LeeSalsbery

Follow the steps from the link- https://hp.care/31vbYHW.

(This is a third-party link. Please do not click on any ad, image, download, popup or link or anywhere else as this is a third-party link meant only for viewing information).

If the issue persists, it could be a hardware failure.

Please reach out to the HP Support in your region regarding the service options for your chromebook

Hope this helps!

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.