Intern
58 0 0
Message 1 of 13
Flag Post

HP Compaq Presario screen goes black after start

Presario CQ56
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I've got this laptop and problem is -

1. It boots - shows Windows is starting with the logo and the screen goes blank. After that it reboots. It doesn't shuts off. And it's kinda strange, because firts I see logo Q - for Compaq and display then shuts off, then goes up - I see WIndows logo. I can't get into setup. I've checked power adapteer - voltages are OK even though some chinese replacement. I tried without battery - only on DC power and same does it again. Could be this problem with the video? Thank you.

12 REPLIES
Retired
Retired
5851 346 624
Message 2 of 13
Flag Post

Hello @arnnny,

Welcome back to the HP Support Forums!

I came across your post about the notebook not starting, and wanted to assist you!  I understand that the screen will go blank, and the notebook will restart.

Did you install any updates recently?  First, try reviewing the following documents, and let me know how it goes:

HP Notebook PCs - Troubleshooting Black Screen Displays with No Error Messages During Startup or Boo...

HP PCs - The Computer Restarts Unexpectedly (Windows 7)

Please let me know if this information helps you resolve the issue by marking this post as "Accept as Solution", this will help others easily find the information they may be looking for.  Also, clicking the Thumbs up below is a great way to say thanks!

Have a great day!

SDF15
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
58 0 0
Message 3 of 13
Flag Post

OK, it's strange behaviour. I started hooking another monitor - LED of the ext monitor were green. I didn't wait long time to see picture. I removed the HDD and I saw today something one the ext screen after some time. Returned HDD and I get into repair mode of windows which shows me D:$secure is corrupt, please run chkdsk utility. I ran now, everything is shown on the ext screen without flickering, or something like that. I think the LCD screen or inverter maybe is behaving wrong.

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
5851 346 624
Message 4 of 13
Flag Post

Hello @arnnny,

Thank you for the information!

If you are now seeing a proper image on the external monitor, then it is possible that the issue is still software related.  Use the external monitor to update the Chipset, BIOS, and Graphics Drivers.  You can download the  drivers manually, by going to this site. Once there, input your Product Number and click "Find my product".  On the next page, select your Operating System and click "Update".  You should be able to access and download the drivers.  Please post back with the results.

Please let me know if this information helps you resolve the issue by marking this post as "Accept as Solution", this will help others easily find the information they may be looking for.  Also, clicking the Thumbs up below is a great way to say thanks!

Have a great weekend!

SDF15
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
58 0 0
Message 5 of 13
Flag Post

OK, I've replaced the BIOS - with the same version, there is no new and the problem persists again, but it's behaving more stable. Screen is showing more often than before. I still think the problem is related to inverter or display.

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
5851 346 624
Message 6 of 13
Flag Post

Hello @arnnny,

Thank you for the quick reply!

If you believe the issue to be with the inverter, you can use the following guide to check the part:

Compaq Presario CQ56 Notebook PC and HP G56 Notebook PC - Maintenance and Service Guide (Chapter 4, Page 59-65).

Regards!

SDF15
I work on behalf of HP

0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
58 0 0
Message 7 of 13
Flag Post

OK, this is LED screen. In one service we've tested with another screen. Screen was damaged, but when turned on it wasn't flickering and it didn't turn off when booted to Windows. So I've bought new screen - no flickering, but it shows kinda yellowish picture. The colors are yellowish and I believe this might not be problem with the screen. Maybe the panel cable? Or maybe the video card. On external screen the video is perfect!!! Can I try with another panel cable?

0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
58 0 0
Message 8 of 13
Flag Post

We've tested with another screen and unfortunately there is same problem. I don't know what to say. On ext picture is perfect
0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
5851 346 624
Message 9 of 13
Flag Post

Hell @arnnny,

Thank you for the information!

Are you using one of the following HP parts?  Here are all the compatible displays, for the notebook:

39.6-cm (15.6-in) HD LED BrightView display assembly with webcam and microphone for HP G56 computer 620589-001

39.6-cm (15.6-in) HD LED BrightView display assembly with microphone for HP G56 computer 620588-001

39.6-cm (15.6-in) HD CCFL BrightView display assembly with webcam and microphone for HP G56 computer 620591-001

39.6-cm (15.6-in) HD CCFL BrightView display assembly with microphone for HP G56 computer 620590-001

39.6-cm (15.6-in) HD LED BrightView display assembly with webcam and microphone for Presario CQ56 computer 620585-001

39.6-cm (15.6-in) HD LED BrightView display assembly with microphone for Presario CQ56 computer 620584-001

39.6-cm (15.6-in) HD CCFL BrightView display assembly with webcam and microphone for Presario CQ56 computer 620587-001

39.6-cm (15.6-in) HD CCFL BrightView display assembly with microphone for Presario CQ56 computer 620586-001

Also, were you able to update the Chipset driver?  I understand that you already tried updating the BIOS.  Have you tried uninstalling the Graphics Driver, then restarting the notebook?  Are you certain that the displays were connected properly?  Looking forward to your reply.

Regards!

SDF15
I work on behalf of HP

0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
58 0 0
Message 10 of 13
Flag Post

Unfortunately I've bought one screen. It's AU Optronics - don't have time to tell you the model now, but the colours where kinda yellowish, picture was with some kinda black lines - like from analogue TV. We've tested with another compatible screen as this trader said and the effect was the same. Now I found from one old laptop LG LP156WH2 TL E1 and it worked from the first time perfectly! Maybe the video is getting buggy - maybe it's going down??

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation