Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gt7599a Top Student
Top Student
5 4 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP DV6 locks up, screen & external display both go black (but still sends signal)

HP DV6 6190us LW223UA
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
Problem:
I have an HP DV6 that periodically locks up.
When it locks up both the laptop screen & external display both go black but its still sending a signal out over HDMI to the external monitor because if I unplug the HDMI, the eternal monitor then shows the OSD message about no signal.
Key strokes, including things like Cap Lock don't register.
I haven't noticed specific actions that drive it & sometimes it happens when I'm not even touching the laptop.

OS
Was Win 7 Pro just upgraded the drive to a new SSD and did a clean win10 pro 64 bit install.  Same issue.

Current Hardware
RAM 16GB, was upgraded a long time ago and the isssue didn't happen after the upgrade, only more recently.  
Drive 
Previously 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD 
Brand new 500GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD

Other
Optical drive is not currently installed
Battery is not instaled.

Tests done
I've run the F2 diagnostics first using onboard diagnostics
  • Memory was fine
  • Run in Test was fine
  • HD test, no errors.

• Ran the HP 3 in 1 diagnostic tool using the extensive 10+ hour test and some additional tests after.  Nothing showed any errors.    Memory fine, drive is fine, temp showed fine (I ran a 30 min test but it didn't get as hot as it usually does when I'm using it).

Any chance this is temp related?  I have it on a laptop cooler but using Core Temp I noticed the CPU temp is often quite high.

Are there things I can look for in the Windows Logs?

Any help would be greatfully appreciated.

Ed

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Intern Intern
Intern
34 34 2 2
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP DV6 locks up, screen & external display both go black (but still sends signal)

HI gt75599a,

Since replacing the drive and new operating system, other items in the system need to be udpated in order to support it.  I recommend going out to the HP.COM website and make sure you update your BIOS, Video, SW, etc drivers/firmware to the most current versions. See if that resolves the issue. 

Thank you,  

Jeorgie,

I am an HP Employee
0 Kudos
gt7599a Top Student
Top Student
5 4 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Bios & Drivers

It already has the latest bios

there are no Win8 or Win10 drivers availible from HP.

HP Diagnostics

I ran the extended on board diagnostics, no visible errors

Using the HP Vision tool I did find this.

The AMD graphics card (Radeon HD 6770M) fails the Extended Memory Test

• Extenedd Video Memroy Test FAILED 990682 502 no matching video controller found

The Intel video card passes the test fine. 

Why this isn't OS or HDD / SSD related

This explains the behavior I've had since reinstalling win10 & win7 multiple times. 

I can reinstall an OS and then after a reboot (sometime two) it'll lock up and will not load. 

My guess is that the after the reboot the OS tries switching to the Radeon card and that's when things fail.

Next Steps?

I've reverted to an early restore point, rebooted and immediately went into Device Manager and disabled the AMD Radeon card.  Win7 installed a bunch of updates, reboot was successful.

Obviously this "solution" comes at the expense of video performance but throwing significant money at a new motherboard for a 6 year laptop (that I use more like a desktop) doesn't make much sense.

Haivng tried this eventually a couple of reboots it seems a driver gets updated, the AMD Radeon card reactivates and it locks up on a reboot.

Ed

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation