MikeSelvage Top Student
Top Student
7 5 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP ENVY 13-j000 x2 Detachable PC

My wife's HP Envy X2 13-j000dx video display has intermittent, vertical lines that "flash" on the screen all the time.  It was purchased from Best Buy with Windows 8.1 on it and upgraded to Windows 10 some time ago. All the HP and Microsoft software are up to date.

I booted into the UEFI software and ran many of the diagnostic tools, all of which "Passed." The Vertical line flickering problem almost never appeared, but when it did appear it was running a "Memory" test. And it expecially appeared when running the Memory Component Test.

I looked into purchasing new memory modules, replacing them, and running the tests again - but it appears that all 8GB of the System Memory is "On-Board". Meaning I'd have to purchase a new Motherboard to replace the memory.  Who thought that bright idea up? If I'm right, and it is the memory, it turns a simple $30 job into a serveral hundred dollar job. Bad design.

As I stated earlier - ALL the tests "Pass"  - including the System Board, Video and Memory - but any test that runs a "Memory test" the intermittent vertical lines appear. Is there something specific I can try that "Proves" or "Disproves" a main memory module(s) is bad?

It seems I just purchased this system a little over 2 years ago.  I have 4, older, HP / Compaq systems here at home (1 running "XP" and 1 running "Vista") that have NEVER had ANY (other than a virus) problem -- and they are at least 8 years old. I also have a wireless HP Printer. What can I say, it prints just fine - and it's 3-4 years old. It replaced another HP Printer that "died" - after 8 years. This is a little over 2 years old... what happened?  An HP Motherboard or memory module doesn't DIE in less than 3 years !

3 REPLIES 3
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
16312 16292 1170 1731
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey there! @MikeSelvage

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues with help from the community!

I understand that you see vertical lines on the screen of your laptop.

Don't worry I will try to help you out.

Did you make any software or hardware changes to your PC?

Do the vertical lines appear in BIOS?

As you mentioned that vertical lines appeared while running the memory test on your laptop.

I have checked the specifications of your PC and memory on this laptop is integrated into the system board.

So, you have to replace whole system board to replace memory.

However, Before you replace system board I would suggest you try few steps.

Update the graphics driver and BIOS on your PC and check if the issue persists.

Update the graphics driver using this link.

Also, update the BIOS using this link.

Let me know how it goes!

Have a great day ahead! :)

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
MikeSelvage Top Student
Top Student
7 5 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

MrRobert;

Thanks for the quick reply.

I've used "Windows Update" to insure Windows 10 is up to date - even installed the 'non-critical' updates. I've done the same with the HP software using the "HP Support Assistant" - twice. The first time it reported everything was up to date. Then I went to the HP Support Page for this product and downloaded / installed the latest Display Driver listed. During intallation it reported a newer version of the software was already installed - do I wish to proceed. I did. It didn't "fix" anything so I used HP Support Assistant again and it downloaded and installed the newer Display Driver - again.

All the UEFI 'Quick' or 'Extended' tests Pass - even the 'extended' memory test. I get no 'flickering - vertical' lines on any test - except those that access memory, including the 'extended' memory test.

And the memory used is "Samsung" memory. My wife also has a Samsung Cell Phone - that is having 'memory' problems after only 1.5 years of use.

We bought this system just a day or so prior to Christmas 2014. According to her (she uses the system 99% of the time) the 'lines' have been "doing this" for "a while now" (exactly what that means - I have no idea). Again - Samsung memory within the past 2 years. There seems to be a common element here.

I'll try to access my gmail from her Envy and apply the Display Driver and Bios pointed to in your post. It might work - it's worth a try.

But HP hardware, usually, doesn't fail in 2 years. I'm using a 6-7 year old HP Desktop system right now - NEVER had a problem with it. I have an old HP/Compaq system running XP out in the Garage - I had to replace the Power Supply in it - once. It still has the original WD Hard Drive - still running fine.

I think the HP Executives need to do some simple arithmetic for future planning. Many people - collectively known as "Baby Boomers" (1945-1964) have JUST BEGUN retiring. Those born in 1951 retired in 2016 (many had to lose 20% and take 'Early Retirement' to do so). The average SS benefit is about $1360 /mo. - $121/mo for Medicare. They won't be affording $870 computers every 2 years. Due to my wife and adult daughter's health issues I had to take Early Soc. Sec. - and I got screwed out of 10 years of "time" (which "kills" your benefit amount).

Hopefully those Driver and Bios patches work because it's just beyond comprehension that an HP Motherboard needs replacing in 2 years. We didn't purchase the Best Buy 'Store Warranty' because - it's an HP, you don't need a 'Store Warranty' with an HP.

Mike Selvage
Las Vegas, NV.

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
16312 16292 1170 1731
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@MikeSelvage, thanks for your response and time.

Thanks for trying out the steps.

It looks to be a hardware issue. Please contact HP support for service options.

I understand your concern As you are comparing a desktop with a laptop, I would say desktops do last longer than laptops in a couple of ways.

Obsolescence: Desktop components are (in many cases) more powerful than their mobile counterparts. This is sometimes due to size, but more likely heat output and power consumption. This means that a desktop will usually be faster than a laptop, so will take longer to not be able to do something that you want it to do. Most components are also upgradable (laptops only sometimes have upgradeable RAM and storage) so you could argue that the computer will last longer. You could equally argue that if you swap parts out, it isn't the same computer, but that's an argument for another time.

Durability: Laptops are usually used as mobile computers, so they are often on the move with their owners. This leads to them getting knocked about more - mine certainly has a couple of dings and scratches. Desktops, on the other hand, live on or under a desk, so whilst they may get dusty, they aren't likely to be damaged in the same way. Moreover, desktops are larger and easier to cool, so there is less likelihood of thermal damage to components.

Hope this helps!

Have a great day ahead! :)

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation