Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP ENVY x360 Screen not rotating in "tent" mode

HP ENVY x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I've tried everything to make my computer screen flip when I put my computer into "tent" mode. I've gone into the settings and changed it so that it allows my computer screen to auto rotate and it never does. I've changed display settings and have made sure all updates are completed, and nothing seems to work. I have only had this computer for about a month and a half and I haven't used the computer as a "tent" much either. I've had it work before but suddently it stopped and I'm confused as to what I need to do to make it work again. 

4 REPLIES 4
Retired
Retired
6,182 5,326 349 626
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello @kl01,

Welcome to the HP Forums, I hope you enjoy your experience! To help you get the most out of the HP Forums, I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I read your post about the auto rotate issue, and wanted to assist you!  I understand that the screen is no longer rotating, while in tablet mode.

To start, can you provide me with the Product Number of the notebook?  Here is a link you can use that will help you find your Model and Product Number:
HP Customer Support - Products

In the meantime you can try performing a System Restore, to set the notebook back to its previous working state.  If that does not help, then try checking to see if the Rotation Lock feature is enabled.  While in tablet mode, open the Action Center by swiping from the right side.  Then check the to see if Rotation Lock is activated.  Please post back with the results.

Please let me know if this information helps you resolve the issue by marking this post as "Accept as Solution", this will help others easily find the information they may be looking for.  Also, clicking the Thumbs up below is a great way to say thanks!

Have a great weekend!

SDF15
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos
kl01 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

My product number is M1V66UA#ABA. I also tried looking at the and the rotation lock button is greyed out. I'm afraid that if I do a system restore, it will uninstall my Microsoft Office. 

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
6,182 5,326 349 626
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello @kl01,

Thank you for the information!

Unless you installed the program recently, I do not believe that the System Restore will remove it.  If you are not sure about the System Restore, you can try downloading and install the following driver first: sp71811.exe

If you are still having trouble, then you may consider the System Restore.

I hope this helps.

Regards!

SDF15
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos
MKristin Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Had the same problem with my HP Envy x360. The option to turn on auto-rotate was grayed out.

Hours of trouble shooting and online Tech Support chat did not resolve, the rep wanted me to return for repair, and elevated me to Tier II support supervisor when I balked at the return. I exchanged at Costco instead and had the same issue with new computer. Noticed that the Costco display model also had the same issue.

I finally went to the HP website, searched for a download that would update the BIOS, and downloaded and installed. Resolved!! I suggested that this be shared with Tier I support but doubted that the communication would trickle down - so I'm sharing here.

If anyone else stumbles across this solution and it works for you, please pass it along. I don't believe it is model specific - I think it is more a mix of HP devices with rotatable screens and Windows 10.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation