cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
The HP Calculator Community Message Board is moving. While we prepare for the move, we are unable to accept new postings. During the move, you can look for help from other users by visiting https://www.hpmuseum.org/ . Or if you need technical support for your calculator visit: HP Calculators. .
stef_nikolaev
Level 1
7 3 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

HP Envy x360 15-cn0000na GPU Throttling HP Command Center doesn't help

HP Recommended
HP Envy x360 15-cn0000na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I need some help please - I know the GPU Throttling issue was discussed a lot and I have experience with my previous HP Envy 13.3 - basically selecting Performance profile from HP Command Center solved the problem, but now I have a 15 inch HP Envy x360 on which HP Command Center doesn't seem to change the throttling temperature at all. I also read that for the HP Command Center to work the HP Support Assistant should work which it does.
Also recently the BIOS was updated from F.23 to F.26 - I have found how to download the old BIOS, I will try it later.
I tried both Nvidia Game driver and the one from HP - no difference.
In summary when I play a game the temperatures go up to 70-72degC, then stay like that for 5-10 min and then throttling starts and GPU clock drops to 190MHz and never recovers, even when temperatures drop below 60degC!
Below is a screenshot from MSI Afterburner - with fast clocks 1.8GHz the temperature exceeds 77degC and no throttling, then reducing the clock to 1.6GHz and temperatures drop slightly to around 70degC and after a minute the temperature limit kicks in?
Having done more testing everything seems OK up to 66degC, anything higher than that triggers the temp limit, weird?

5.jpg

Many thanks in advance to anyone who is able to help!

2 REPLIES 2
stef_nikolaev
Author
Level 1
7 3 0 0
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Update:

I downloaded GPU-Z and in the Advanced tab it shows 92degC current temperature limit, with minimum 59degC and 94degC default and max.
When I play a game and click Refresh on GPU-Z it shows  the temperature limit dropping to much lower numbers,  e.g. low 60s degC. 
I also read somewhere that HP Cool Sense might be affecting this so I turned it off, but nothing has changed.
I tried uninstalling the Energy Star app but no difference either.
So the question is what causes the temperature limit to drop even if the default setting is 94degC?
For me the optimal figure would be around 75degC, but dropping down to 59degC and especially the clock down to 139MHz (why not to 700-800MHz??)  makes the card unusable (I will perhaps be better of with the integrated UHD 620). 

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
stef_nikolaev
Author
Level 1
7 3 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

There was an improvement in the last couple of days and I don't know what has helped.
Now the throttling temperature is 70degC, which still allows for >1GHz clocks so games are playable.
With a bit of undervolting the card is stable around 1.35GHz at 0.73V and temperatures are below 70degC.
It remains a mystery why the throttling temperature was much lower a couple of days ago (e.g. lower than 60degC).

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation