Create an account on the HP Community to personalize your profile and ask a question
10-30-2020 05:42 PM - edited 10-30-2020 05:53 PM
Hello dear people,
I sincerely hope someone could give me an idea how to solve this issue.
I bought a brand new HP Envy x360 Convertible 13-ar0003la (running on AMD Ryzen 7 3700U) online around a week ago, with a 1 year warranty. To my disappoinment, the touchscreen would completely stop responding at random times, usually 1-3 times per day, from the very first day. Restarting Windows brings the touchscreen back to normal, however this is a very undesirable "solution". Interestingly, when the touchscreen stops responding, the touchpad also stops responding and I am able to restart the system only via keyboard shortcuts or with an external mouse. The touchscreen responds to the HP Stylus Pen only when it responds to finger tapping too.
Being a literate Google user and a software developer myself, I did not miss to to try nearly every possible solution I could find here or on Google, all to no avail. I am listing all I have tried below.
* Updating Windows 10 -> all up to date, did not fix the issue
* Updating Drivers via Hp Support Assistant -> all drivers are up to date except "HP Notebook Update BIOS Update (AMD Processors), softpaq number sq110406, version F.21" which only showed up several days ago. After downloading the package and choosing the path, the installation fails with "Unknown installation" error message. Trying to run C:\SWSetup\SP110406\HPWINGUI.exe directly results in nothing as the program just silently halts. The current BIOS version is F.20. Tried disabling BitLocker but the outcome remained the same. A hint on how to update BIOS would be highly appreciated.
* Tried Recovery -> Reset This PC multiple times, which brought the device to original factory settings, to no avail. Tried upgrading BIOS after such a system reset with the same result (see previous point).
* Tried enabling, uninstallating, reinstalling and updating the "HID Compliant touch screen" as well as "ELAN EzTouchFilter" in Device Manager, to no avail. There are no question marks in Device Manager.
* Run the touch screen diagnostic test in HP Hardware Diagnostics to no avail. Clearly, when the touchscreen responds, it passes the test, and when it doesn't respond, the test makes no sense and cannot be completed.
* There is no "Power Management" tab nor a check box "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" in the properties of "HID Compliant touch screen" item in Device Manager, however "ELAN EZTouchFilter" has this option. Unchecking it and restarting the system did not help long term as the issue came back within hours.
As my desperation grew, I also tried some other less orthodox ways to tackle this, all to no avail:
* Switching from Google Chrome to Microsoft Egde browser
* Removing altogether the wireless external mouse
* Not using the machine in tablet mode at all
* Using the machine only in tablet mode
* Not using the machine while charging
* Using the machine only while charging
None of anything above has changed absolutely anything. The touchscreen still responds only intermittently: it seems to hang on at completely random times.
By the way, I am in Mexico right now (for 6 months) and the closest HP center is Best Buy in Cancun which is miles away.
Thanks a lot for any help or directions in how to continue troubleshooting this.
11-01-2020 12:47 PM
@CapLiz I understand your concern and I will bring your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP.
Although, I'll need some private information from you in order to create a case for you.
Please look for a private message requesting additional information.
Keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers, case details, etc...).
If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can simply click here.
If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accept as solution" on my public post, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!
Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.
I am an HP Employee
11-14-2020 05:11 AM
I have the same problem. HP ENVY x360 - 13-ar0305ng latest bios from hp web site is SP110406. Run tris file creates a folder/file C:\SWSetup\SP110406\HPWINGUI.EXE
When I start HPWINGUI.EXE, nothing happens. So I cannot update my computer from F.19 to F.21. Really sad. Please send me the bin file to update it over USB
11-27-2020 04:35 AM
I dont know if this solves your problem, but I had an similar issue with my spectre x360 notebook. The touchscreen wasnt working at all. I figured out, that the HID compliant touchscreen driver was missing (look in device manager -->input devices).
I tried many things and ended up in loading Driver Easy and update all my drivers. After two restarts it works perfectly right now and the driver is now showing up. It seems to be a driver problem.
I hope this can help you 🙂
Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask the community