Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Notebook - 15-af148ca (Touch) (ENERGY STAR)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hey! This is my first time on here, and I'm using this as a last resort. I desperately need help. I have an HP Notebook - 15-af148ca (Touch) (ENERGY STAR) with an AMD A8-7410 with Radeon R5 Graphics. The latest driver I can download successfully is 15.201.1101.0. Windows, Device Manager and even AMD's official website are all telling me to upgrade to a driver from this year, since it was supported until June this year! I once tried updating my driver one year ago because a video said to do so and I was clueless compared to now and got a huge performance boost and tons more FPS in every game I played... except I regret that because I then lost the drivers that my laptop came with (they were good). My computer started freezing every 2 seconds for about one second rendering my laptop unusable. I had to uninstall the driver giving me the trashy Microsoft Basic Display Adapter that gives 0-1 FPS. Can't even run Google Docs! I kept trying to reinstall the driver because I was lost and started getting BSODs with CRITICAL_SERVICE_DIED or CRITICAL_SOMETHING_DIED after installing them. One final time, the reckoning, I tried installing 20.5.2 through Windows Update. This did not end well. My laptop got a BSOD (usual) but then when restarting got a black screen with text saying it could not detect my hard drive!!! I didn't know this could happen as a result of updating graphics drivers as Windows told me to. I lost all my precious old photos!!! I couldn't boot my computer and had to reinstall the OS with a USB drive. After reinstalling the OS, Windows told me to update my graphics driver next (last September?) and started freezing again so I uninstalled it, went to the HP website and downloaded my driver from there. It doesn't freeze and has no issues since I reinstalled the OS. However, I get way less FPS than I used to with the driver that came with the laptop (200 fps on Minecraft when looking at sky back then with no mods! Now I get 80 when doing so with the best performance-boosting mods!) No one was to any help except the person that told me about the HP drivers except I want to know if there is any way I can at least get the Crimson software because it can do much more to improve my performance than AMD Catalyst can (CCC has little to no features). The Radeon Software also has a built in recorder which is amazing. Somebody, please help, AMD doesn't want to help, Microsoft doesn't respond, and this is my last resort. 

If you need any info such as more specs or anything like that just tell me. Thanks in advance! 

P.S. I know I shouldn't have messed with the drivers since they weren't broken but I was clueless and didn't think it was harmful at all since it was the official AMD website and a YouTuber told me to do so to get more performance (it was part of a performance boosting guide) and I just wanted more performance.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Where did you get the Windows USB drive? I mean, from where you get the new Windows installed

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.