Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Notebook – 15-bs139ng Graphic Driver Problem

Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello Community!

I've recently bought a HP 15-bs139ng Notebook and now I'm experiencing some issues with it. Since some time I had the problem that on every pc startup the screen started to turn black or froze completely. I was not able to do anything.

I made a video about it: Youtube

The HP Hardware Diagnostics showed no error either, nor could the HP Support help me about the issue.

However I did some research and I think I know the issue now. It is something with either the Graphics Card or the Driver. Atleast the black screen and the frozen screen were caused by the amd display driver which kept trying to restart.

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
- <System>
  <Provider Name="Display" /> 
  <EventID Qualifiers="0">4101</EventID> 
  <Level>3</Level> 
  <Task>0</Task> 
  <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords> 
  <TimeCreated SystemTime="2018-02-12T19:31:17.586019400Z" /> 
  <EventRecordID>847</EventRecordID> 
  <Channel>System</Channel> 
  <Computer>DESKTOP-CG9K97R</Computer> 
  <Security /> 
  </System>
- <EventData>
  <Data>amdkmdap</Data> 
  <Data /> 
  </EventData>
  </Event>

So the thing is the graphics card is specified as "AMD Radeon™ 530(4 GB DDR3) and windows recognizes it as such and installs a driver. This driver though causes problems as stated. So I download the following drivers from the HP Website:

AMD/Intel Switchable Graphics Driver (Windows 10 v1709)

system software Manager Icon

22.19.128.5 Rev.A

and the following:

Intel Chipset Installation Utility and Driver (Windows 10 v1709)

system software Manager Icon

10.1.1.44 Rev.A

Those didn't help either. So I downloaded a graphics driver from the official amd website.

https://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/Radeon-Software-Adrenalin-Edition-18.2.1-Release-Not...

After the successfull installation the graphics card gets mapped as AMD Radeon R7 M340. Didn't help either still casual blackscreens and freezes.

Then I started a game since those are more graphic intensive to see if anything happens, the only thing that happens though, is that the IGPU turns on 100% but no reaction from the dedicated one. It seems that it's not working at all so I assume that the Display Driver restart loop is caused by the attempts of the os to start the graphics card.

Is there anyone having the same issue or having a solution for this?

4 REPLIES 4
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
21,419 21,032 1,379 2,168
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @davega1,

Thanks for engaging in HP support Forums! This is a wonderful location to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips! I understand you are having issues on your HP Notebook. Don't worry as I have a few suggestions which should help you resolve this issue.

Splendid effort and fabulous description of the issue before posting. Kudos to you on that score. You are a valued HP customer and it is paramount to assist you here. I take it as a privilege to share this platform with you.

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Have you recently made any changes on the PC before the issue started?

Have you tried to update the Bios?

Did you try to update the drivers either using Windows update or HP Support Assistant?

In the meantime, let's try these steps here: 

Perform a Hard reset on the PC

Many startup errors and other problems can be resolved by decreasing the amount of power stored in hardware components. Decreasing stored power is sometimes referred to as a "Hard Reset". Use the following steps to perform a hard reset on a computer:

1. If Windows is open, click Start and then Shutdown.

If Windows is not open and the computer has power, press and hold the power button on the computer until the computer shuts off.

2. With the power off, disconnect the power cord from the back of the computer.

3. With the power off and the power cord disconnected, press the power button on the computer for 5 seconds. The power light indicator on or near the power button might turn on briefly but then go out.

4. Reconnect the power cord and turn on the power.

Please uninstall the display drivers completely from device manager.

Right-Click on start button> click device manager> Display adapters>then select the display drivers and right-click on it and uninstall the graphics drivers.

Please check the box that says “delete the software for this device”.

Then restart the computer and check again.

Now update the Bios, Chipset and graphics card drivers on your PC from our HP support website, using this link.

Also, download and install HP support assistant on your PC. It should automatically download and install the latest updates and drivers for your PC.

Refer this link to know how to use HP support assistant.

Once done, restart the computer and then check how it goes.

If the issue persists, try creating a new user account:

It looks like an operating system issue with the machine. Try to create a new local user and then try to check if the issue persists Follow the steps here to create a local account on your PC: http://bit.ly/2uu1UNm       

Let me know if those steps worked for you.

If they did, that’s awesome!

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons,

That’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
davega1 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello @

thanks for your time and effort. The steps you have suggested have all been performed already. I'm sorry that I didn't mention those, it could have saved you the time. With the goal of fixing it I tried so many solutions that it's hard to write them all down.

Have you recently made any changes on the PC before the issue started?

No nothing. To exclude in case of doubts, also no change on the clock speed or any change on the GPU.

Have you tried to update the Bios?

No but will try it

Did you try to update the drivers either using Windows update or HP Support Assistant?

Yes.

However I've also tried to install a clean copy of windows and followed all the steps you stated. Although the problem did not occur anymore, the graphcis card was still not working on graphic intensive programms. Since the notebook is just 2 months old I can't accept that.

The only thing I haven't tried yet is installing a bios update. I will try that and update you with the result.

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
5,278 5,204 268 360
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@davega1,

It looks like you were interacting with @Jeet_singh, but he is out for the day & I'll be glad to help you out,

I'm the Flower_Bud & I'm at your service.

How are you going to install Windows? 

Did you create Recovery Media?

Please try BIOS update and keep me posted,

Have a great day 🙂

0 Kudos
rsfdiver Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

17-bs025cl laptop

The issue gets worse the more updated the drivers.

Worst laptop ever. I just bought it and it crashed in the middle of work, I work offshore and was stuck until I got home

They sent me a thumb drive with the operating system and I reloaded windows 10 and drivers

worked ok then it updated and same issues.

didn't work from the get go and was a dedicated HP buyer until now

There is an issue with Windows 10 and the radeon 530 I wish someone would fix.

can't afford to replace this one even though the warranty is still good they balk at returning my money.

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation