Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

From the last 2 weeks, my notebook screen seems flickering while on battery, But flickering stops and screen is stable when charger is plugged in. Please help me to stop this flickering.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@pranavnandanam

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details:

• Did this happen after a recent window or software update?
  • Have you made any hardware/software changes?
  • Have you tried any troubleshooting steps?
  • What is the product number of your device? Use this link to find it: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03754824

Keep me posted for further assistance.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I was having a similar screen flickering problem with my HP Envy for a year or so and finally fixed it yesterday.  My problem was that the battery was 5 years old and lost most of its capacity.  The solution was to replace the battery, and my screen has not flickered yet on battery today.  (EDIT: With the new battery, I can use the laptop for a couple hours until it gets down to 25%.  Then I notice a few flickers again, but not nearly as bad as before.  There could still be an underlying issue, but the new battery is significantly helping to extend the useful life.)  A description of my symptoms and diagnosis is below in case it helps anyone else.

My laptop worked normally when connected to AC power.  The screen would only flicker after being on battery for an hour with somewhere less than 50% charge remaining, and more recently I could only use it 15 minutes on battery.  I could still dimly see colors on the screen, it was just the backlight flickering.  It would get worse when I did something resource intensive like opening a program, or loading a new webpage over wifi.  I tried lots of "fixes" offered in these forums like updating windows, updating drivers, and changing power settings, but nothing worked if not just to delay flickering a few more minutes.  I finally suspected a bad battery when I worked through it and windows shut down with 50% charge left.  I googled how to generate a battery report (steps on that below*), and discovered my full charge capacity was only 40-50% of the design capacity. I bought a new battery on ebay and replaced it carefully by myself.  The battery was actually so old that it had begun to swell a bit.  This is a sign the battery is failing and can be dangerous, so use caution if you do replace it on your own.

*Generate Windows 10 Battery Report using POWERCFG command

1. Open CMD in Admin Mode as above.
  2. Type the command: powercfg /batteryreport. Press Enter.
  3. To view the Battery Report, press Windows+R and type the following location: C:\WINDOWS\system32\battery-report.html. Click Ok. This file will open in your web browser.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.