Locked topic

This topic has been locked due to inactivity for a long period of time. If you have a question, please create a new topic by clicking here.
Adie88 Top Student
Top Student
7 0 0
Message 1 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Pavilion Notebook wont work with any graphics drivers from HP

HP Pavilion Notebook 15z-p100
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hi. Ive had a problem for a little while with my girlfriends laptop.

HP Pavilion Notebook - 15z-p100 CTO (ENERGY STAR) AMD/AMD

-

Radeon graphics HD 8610g/r7 M260

-

Windows 8.1 64bit (previously Win10 64bit)

The laptop isnt working for buisness or pleasure because none of the graphics drivers from Hp (and Ive tried them all) are working properly.

We upgraded the laptop to windows 10 a while back and we learned that apparently doing that makes it so the recovery harddrive that came with it wont work. I tried factory resetting but that didnt work at all, leaving me no choice but to reinstall windows 8.1 fresh. Obviously thats not how it was shipped to me as I assume its missing crutial HP installs and such to make the switchable graphics work.

Ive ordered the media to revert back to factory settings but my question is, is that even going to work? It seems like after windows 10 came out the drivers for my specific laptop, and other people that ive read about just wont work for switchable graphics.

AMD and Microsoft both say to talk to HP. So that being said, here I am. What is someone to do with a crippled computer that was still fairly recently purchased when all of the video drivers wont work? Ive gone through HP assistant, ive gone through the hp website and downloaded everything individually but still with no luck.

I look forward to hearing from someone.

10 REPLIES
Adie88 Top Student
Top Student
7 0 0
Message 2 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Does anyone read these posts anymore?

Bump

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
5851 346 624
Message 3 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello @Adie88,

Welcome to the HP Forums, I hope you enjoy your experience! To help you get the most out of the HP Forums, I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I read your post about the Graphics issue, and wanted to assist you!  I understand that you having issues after downgrading to the Windows 8.1 Operating System.

What is the original Operating System that shipped with the notebook?  I only see Recovery Media for Windows 8.1 on the HP site.  If you already ordered the Recovery Media, then you should be able to use that to get the notebook back to its factory settings, with all the original software.

Please let me know if this information helps you resolve the issue by marking this post as "Accept as Solution", this will help others easily find the information they may be looking for.  Also, clicking the Thumbs up below is a great way to say thanks!

Have a great day!

SDF15
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up to say “Thanks” for helping!
Adie88 Top Student
Top Student
7 0 0
Message 4 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi, thanks for responding.

The notebook came with windows 8.1. I took advantage of the upgrade to windows 10 but after some time I noticed the switchable graphics drivers wouldnt work for gaming or normal tasks.

I had read that going back to windows 8.1 would fix the driver issue so I decided to use the HP recovery drive that came with it. Thats when I learned that the hp recovery no longer was recognized by win10 and using that to get back to factory settings wasnt an option. My only choice was to clean install 8.1 which is where I am now. However that still didnt fix the video card problem as it still failed to locate drivers and I tried every single one on the website and through the assistant.

Right now ive just received the hp disks (4). Its three recovery discs and a supplemental driver cd. Twice now ive sat through the entire process while following the instructions to restore factory settings but it keeps freezing at a black screen. This is happening on the software portion of the reset. I quickly see it get to the log in screen where it says administrator is logging in, then it goes back to the software install screen, does a restart, and just hangs at a black screen.

Im going to try this one more time but as of now it really isnt looking so good.

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
5851 346 624
Message 5 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello @Adie88,

Thank you for the information!

You can try reviewing this document as well, to see if it helps with the recovery: 

HP PCs - Troubleshooting HP System Recovery Problems (Windows 8)

I could only see AMD drivers available for your product on the HP site.  Did you also download and install updated drivers for the chipset as well?

Regards!

SDF15
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
0 Kudos
Adie88 Top Student
Top Student
7 0 0
Message 6 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello again.

Yes, ive tried the chipset drivers as well but to no avail. Still currently working on my third factory reset. I think im going to try to skip the supplemental CD this time around and see if I get any further. That seems to be the only part it hangs on, though I suspect ill need the drivers from the supplement CD at some point. Would I be able to skip that step now and then use the CD later in windows?

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
5851 346 624
Message 7 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello @Adie88,

From my understanding, you should be inserting the disc, when prompted to do so by the system.  I am not sure if the system will allow you to skip a disc.  If the system does not directly ask for the disc during recovery, then it should be fine.

Regards!

SDF15
I work on behalf of HP

Adie88 Top Student
Top Student
7 0 0
Message 8 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Still no luck even with trying to skip the supplemental drivers CD.

So that makes it two factory resets with all the discs, and one factory reset without the last disc. It does give me the option to skip it, so thats what I tried but it ended up doing the same thing.

It just restarts after it seems to finish the factory restore and hangs at what I assume is the entering windows phase at a black screen.

Im not really sure what to do from here. I could reinstall windows 8.1 with the downloaded microsoft media I have but my issue would be the same for the switchable graphics. I would still be left without display drivers which was my initial problem.

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
Adie88 Top Student
Top Student
7 0 0
Message 9 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Memory test and Hard drive test both came back fine. After it attempts to load into windows a few times I get a blue screen that says recovery and an error appears.

Recovery

Your PC couldnt start properly

Error Code: 0xc0000001

Not really sure if that helps or eludes to my problem but thats what it says..

0 Kudos
Adie88 Top Student
Top Student
7 0 0
Message 10 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I can't find anything wrong with the laptop after doing tests. I'm starting to speculate that the graphic drivers on the discs I ordered are incorrect since I seem to get a similar error like I did using the "recommended " display drivers from hp previously.

Video TDR Failure is the new message I get after trying to boot into Windows from a fresh factory reinstall. That's four attempts to get it back to factory defaults with no luck.

I'm hoping for a recommendation of what I should do next. It's apparent that I've tried everything on my end.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation