Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Highlighted
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

HP Pavilion dv6-6b70ed Doesn't install switchable graphics.

HP Recommended
Pavilion dv6-6b70ed
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have a HP Pavilion dv6-6b70ed, with an intel HD family and a Radeon 6490M.

Yesterday while i was watching a twitch stream, my laptop just froze, so i thought maybe restarting would do some good (couldn't do anything else).
After i shut it down by holding the power button, it just didn't boot anymore.
Tried booting into safe mode to go back to my previous restore point, but it wouldn't let me in. It just kept rebooting when i pressed the safemode option. And when i tried to start it normally, it gave me a black screen after the windows loadingscreen.

So i thought formatting and reïnstalling windows 7 could help and went for it.

The thing is though, after formatting and reïnstalling windows, I just couldn't get my switchable graphics working.

I downloaded my drivers from the HP website and installed them.
but after i installed the chipset and tried to install the intel gpu driver, it just gave me an error, telling me i don't have the requirments to install it. Same for the amd gpu.

after some "google-ing" i found something for my intel hd and fixed that one, but i couldn't fix my 6490m.
amd's driver detect says that i have a 7xxxm model even though i dont. so i made another restore point and just went for it. While installing the driver the screen started flickering (which is normal while installing a gpu driver) but after some flickering it gave me the black screen of death and wouln't boot anymore so i went back to my restore point. After trying some other drivers i came to the conclusion that i suck, shutdown my laptop and went to sleep (around 8.30 in the morning..)

So please someone help me.

Even if it is just the amd gpu that works, it's fine by me.

thankyou in advance.

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
3,798 3,735 201 435
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @xRoyall,

Thanks for becoming a member of the HP Support Forums. I understand you are having an issue with the black screen on start up. I will be glad to help you.

Please look at the following documents.

Computer Does not Start (Windows 7, Vista, XP)

Troubleshooting Black Screen Displays with No Error Messages During Startup or Boot

Black or blank screen with blinking cursor after entering Windows password

Error Messages Display on a Black Screen during Startup or Boot (Windows 10, 8, 7)

Here some links to download the drivers.

AMD High-Definition Graphics Driver

AMD/Intel Switchable High-Definition (HD) Graphics Driver

Intel High-Definition (HD) Graphics Driver

Please keep me informed of how things went. 

If you require further assistance, let me know and I will gladly do all I can to help you.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue by marking this post as "Accept as Solution".
To simply say thanks, click the Thumbs up below! 🙂

Thanks.

Tardis40
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It just says that i don't have the requirments needed to install it...

While my GPU drivers are literally the only drivers i'm missing at the moment..

Anything else i could try to get my drivers running? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Anything else?

Or was this the only thing you could come up with?

In my first post i already told that i tried the drivers from the HP website.

And all you did was literally sending the same files..... 

Like for real??

Is this the only thing HP is willing to do for it's costumers?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
3,798 3,735 201 435
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @xRoyall,

If the have look at all the documents I sent and the drivers will not install, please use the following http://www.hp.com/contacthp and create a case for your issue and contact HP. If you live outside the US/Canada, please click the link below to get the contact information for your region.
http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-phone-assist.html

Tardis40
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation