Post new question
Question

Student
Message 1 of 3 (3,422 Views)

HP Pavilion dv6000 - all sorts of problems

I bought my HP in the summer of 2008. It's worked great - no complaints whatsoever. Anything I've complained about has been related to Vista, not HP. Then a couple things started to go wrong.

First it was the disc drive. It likes to pick and choose when to work. I did all the troubleshooting I could as did IT at my university and nothing worked, but I wasn't too upset - I only need it on occasion anyway and if I did need it, I could work something else out to use one.

It had been working just fine. But the day before Christmas Eve I woke up, turned it on and... nothing. The lights turn on, you hear everything cut on and then it turns off only to try again. And again. And again. You get the idea. It had done this a few times before but usually if I just left it alone, it would manage to turn itself on. No such luck.

I accidentally discovered that if I hold the esc keep down, everything turns on and stays on, but I have a black screen - no image, no mouse, no nothing. I found out tonight that it also turns on if I hold down the F10 key.

Any ideas? I have a feeling it's that Nviadia chip deal I've been reading about - my laptop gets HOT lately - as in has left burn marks on my leg if I'm sitting say, on the sofa, and wearing pajama shorts. But I'd appreciate any and all feedback/suggestions on how to go about repair (please no Geek Squad - as good as they are, they charge way too much for their services based on their name alone!) or if I should just scrap it and buy a new one (which I REALLY don't want to do - fresh out of college kid hear, money is tight!).

Of course my warranty is expired and when I called HP support it was more of me calling A) a foreign country and B) reaching a telemarketing group as the tech who helped me would only say 'For $99.95 I can add a warranty and we can repair this for you.' I didn't expect a free repair, but some troubleshooting tips would have been well appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Sarah

0 Kudos
Distinguished Professor
Message 2 of 3 (3,392 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion dv6000 - all sorts of problems

Please check if your model falls in affected models of a bad video card. 

http://www.nvidiasettlement.com/affectedmodels.html

//Click on Kudos and Accept as Solution if my reply was helpful and answered your question//

I am an HP employee!!
Regents Professor
Message 3 of 3 (3,384 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion dv6000 - all sorts of problems

[ Edited ]

Sarah

If you are sitting your machine on your lap then more then likely you are blocking the intake vents off and causing it to over heat.

Using it in the manor also causes lint, dust, hair etc. to build up in the cooling fins, causing the overheating problem to get worse.  It more then likely need a good cleaning where it has to be taken right apart and have the dust bunnies removed from the cooling fins.

From experience it has been running hot for a little while now and has damaged the mother-board, the video card, the processor or a number of things. Any or all that I have mentioned may be causing the problem.

Hitting f10 and the esc key is getting you into the BIOS, which would indicate the mother-board is probably still good, but as you said it may be the NVIDIA card where the solder has failed.

It sounds more like a hard drive failure, which is not too expensive to replace, but if it won't spin up any more, then rescuing the information of of it can be difficult, but not impossible.

None of this is written in stone, but from what you described it sounds like a hard drive failure, due to heat problems from dust build up and blocked intake vents.

Also to note that the dv6000 was one of the models with the poor solder on the NVIDIA card. Check the link from kamat_HP and see if it's listed there.

See this link for a possible repair.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260674058980

This guy has lots of positive feed back and while he's in there, he can clean it out and apply some new thermal grease on the CPU and GPU. He can also tell you if it needs a new hard drive. If this is so you will need some recovery DVD's from HP, if you haven't made a set of your own.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation