Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Post new question
Question

Top Student
Message 1 of 10 (478 Views)

HP Pavilion dv6t-7000 doesn't detect graphics card

Product Name: dv6t-7000
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I sent this laptop in for repair awhile ago and I just noticed that my computer doesn't recognize my dedicated NVIDIA 650m graphics card. It's not avalible in device manager or anything. It's as if it doesn't exist. I've started doing some work where I really need it and I'm stuck with the integrated graphics. I've ensured every drive is up to date, I've tried downloading drivers from NVIDIA's website, and I've tried downloading HP's posted Windows 8 drivers (there's nothing for WIndows 10). Nothing has worked so far.

0 Kudos
Retired
Message 2 of 10 (440 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion dv6t-7000 doesn't detect graphics card

Hello @kyle656,

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forums! The forums are a great place where you can find solutions for your issues, with help from the community!

I understand that you are having an issue with the Switchable Graphics, and wanted to assist you!

Was you able to use the Switchable Graphics before sending the notebook into repair?  Was you able to use the Switchable Graphics, after upgrading to the Windows 10 Operating System?  In the meantime, you can try uninstalling the Graphic Drivers, then restarting the notebook.  Looking forward to your reply.

Please let me know if this information helps you resolve the issue by marking this post as "Accept as Solution", this will help others easily find the information they may be looking for.  Also, clicking the Thumbs up below is a great way to say thanks!

Have a great day!

SDF15
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up to say “Thanks” for helping!
Top Student
Message 3 of 10 (418 Views)

Thanks for the reply.

I was able to use the switchable graphics at some point before sending it in. I unfortunatly didn't double check if they worked when I got it back. I am not sure at which point it stopped working.

However there is no driver to uninstall. I tried installing the NVIDIA driver; however, it says no graphics card was detected. It's as if it's not there. It's not shown as an unrecognized device in Windows either.

Retired
Message 4 of 10 (416 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hello @kyle656,

Thank you for the information!

Are you still able to use the Go back to an earlier build option, in your System Settings?: 

HP Notebook PCs - Upgrading to Windows 10

It is likely that the issue may have started after upgrading to the Windows 10 Operating System.

Regards!

SDF15
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Top Student
Message 5 of 10 (411 Views)

No, I cannot. However, it seems unlikely that Windows 10 would mess it up so much to the point where it doesn't even detect a graphics cards existence. Any other ideas?

Retired
Message 6 of 10 (397 Views)

Hello @kyle656,

Thank you for the quick reply!

There may be some compatibility issues with Windows 10 and PCs that have Switchable Graphics.  You can try testing the hardware for failure.  If the hardware checks out, then you can also try restoring the BIOS.  Please review the following documents, and let me know how it goes:

HP Notebook PCs - Testing for Hardware Failures (Windows 10, 8)

HP Notebook PCs - Restoring the BIOS

I hope this helps.

Regards!

SDF15
I work on behalf of HP

Provost
Message 7 of 10 (357 Views)

Hi,

Try a hard reset by: unplugging the laptop, removing the battery and then hold down the power button for 60 seconds.  If no joy, then you are facing a major hardware issue as the graphics processor is soldered to the motherboard.

However, it's possible that your laptop could be revived.  Review this information. HP DV2xxx to DV9xxx video issues.

Top Student
Message 8 of 10 (324 Views)

It didn't appear to detect any hardware issues. I even ran it again after updating my BIOS. Any other ideas?

Provost
Message 9 of 10 (314 Views)

Nope.  These particular laptop models have a history of having a failing graphics chip.

Top Student
Message 10 of 10 (287 Views)

Is this anything HP has acknowleged or will replace?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation