Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 11

Hi! 

I am trying to have my laptop hooked up to 2 monitors.

To my surprise, I found out that the ports on the laptop do not broadcast video signal, but instead are some form of downgraded usb3.1. 

I tried using an adapter that connects to one of the monitors via USB-A port marked as Super Speed, but it only appears (depending on the settings) to broadcast the position of the mouse, which mimics the main screen or duplicates the HDMI port screen. 

My question is: 

is there a way I can hook the laptop to the two screens? Can you please suggest any type of hub / adapter that will allow 2 screens to be operable and that is compatible with these downgraded ports? 

Is there a way I can have these garbage ports replaced in any way?

It is just appalling that hp decided to put these pretend ports on a device that cost me around USD1250 when new. 

Thank you

Jan

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Pasiaczek wrote:

.. Can you please suggest any type of hub / adapter that will allow 2 screens to be operable and that is compatible with these downgraded ports

@Pasiaczek 

What is your HP Pavilion ec0008nw ? Is it an HP Pavilion 15-ec0008nw machine ? Its specs

https://support.hp.com/au-en/document/c06502323

I don't know what are downgraded ports  but

If you wish to connect 2 external monitors (only), you can use

Monitor 1: HDMI direct cable,

Monitor 2: Using a Displaylink Certified USB-A to HDMI adapter such as

USB to HDMI Adapter

For more connectivity, please use

True Universal Docking Stations

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Hi, thanks for the reply,

@banhien wrote:

@Pasiaczek wrote:

.. Can you please suggest any type of hub / adapter that will allow 2 screens to be operable and that is compatible with these downgraded ports

@Pasiaczek 

What is your HP Pavilion ec0008nw ? Is it an HP Pavilion 15-ec0008nw machine ? Its specs

https://support.hp.com/au-en/document/c06502323

yes, that's the one. 

By downgraded I mean ports that are as follows: usb-c advertised as 3.1 that transfers only data, and usb-a SuperSpeed that does the same thing. Basically, they're supposed to be a generation above usb-2 but they actually appear to offer nothing that usb3.0 does. 

There's also a usb-a 2.0 that offers only data transfer.  

As for: 

https://www.amazon.com.au/CableCreation-Adapter-Windows-Compatible-2560x1440/dp/B013G4CJM8 

I tried it and... the adapter fails to be detected by windows as a new screen.
It does work in mirror/copy mode but ONLY when the laptop's screen is switched off and has significant latency compared to the other screen. 

When it comes to the other device - I have ordered some sort of device that a friend recommended to me (produced by i-tech). 

Are you sure that displaylink will be supported on the ports that my device has? 

Cheers, 

Jan 

HP Recommended

@Pasiaczek 

Again:

If you wish to connect 2 external monitors (only), you can use

Monitor 1: HDMI direct cable,

Monitor 2: Using a Displaylink Certified USB-A to HDMI adapter such as

USB to HDMI Adapter

For more connectivity, please use

True Universal Docking Stations

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.