Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Pavilion g6-2220su
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I've got a HP pavilion g6-2220su that stopped displaying anything on the screen. I tried connecting an external monitor but nothing appears there as well.
After a bunch of random restarts I finally managed to get a screen for 5 minutes or so both on its LCD and the external monitor with Windows 8.1 booted up until it eventually shut down. Note it overheats very quickly as I haven't bothered cleaning it up and replacing the thermal paste so that could've been the cause of the shutdown.

What happens when I power it on is I can hear something make a noise possible the hard drive or the dvd rom? Fan starts spinning, the light on the WiFi key is orange and the Caps Lock key used to light up as well (as I am typing this now the Caps Lock key does not light up anymore but it used to every time)

UPDATE: Now the Caps Lock light is blinking once every second or two.

Another thing I've noticed is that on the right side next to the charger port, there's a little 3 disk icon with a light next to it which I'm guessing is for showing HDD activity? That one never really blinks or anything
When I fold the laptop, it does go to sleep after a few seconds.

The laptop doesn't have a battery anymore so I can only power it on using the charger. I tried the 30 second power button method to hard reset it but's still the same.
I've tried playing with the RAM sticks by removing one of them and trying each on both slots but it still doesn't seem to work. I tried with another RAM stick but nothing happens so I guess a memory issue is out of the question here?

Thought maybe the BIOS could be corrupted or something so I tried the Win + B + Power button method from here but it just starts up with a black screen again. Could the CPU have gotten damaged from all the overheating maybe, or could the CMOS battery be the culprit? Not sure what else try.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@potato9494 Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that the HP Pavilion g6 no display.

In that case, I would suggest you contact our phone support and check for the support option. They will help you.

Or you can conatct the local service center for repair.

Here is how you can get in touch with phone support.

1)Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

We are experiencing longer than expected wait times to reach an agent due to the CoViD-19 impact and there might have been issues in you getting the expected resolution on the issue. 

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.