Locked topic

This topic has been locked due to inactivity for a long period of time. If you have a question, please create a new topic by clicking here.
Macintop Honor Student
Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Pavilion x2 Detachable Pen Issue (Skipping, Glitchy, Not recognized)

HP x2 12-b017ca
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently bought a HP x2 12-b017ca. Laptop works great and didn't have any issues until now. I ordered a HP Active Pen from HP which listed my computer as compatible. Once I received it, tried it, didn't work. So after some troubleshooting I called HP Support.  After spending 2+ hours of getting transfered alot and disconnected I eventually got a person that told me it wasn't compatible but it clearly states on the HP website it is. Therefore he told me to call another number to confirm if it was compatible. 

During my time on hold​ I was able to get the pen to work however it was very glitchy, skipping and sometimes it wouldn't recognize it at all. I tried calibrating the pen, checked for updates, etc. with no success. So call the number and they stated it was compatable and it sounded like this was a more common problem with this pen so I returned it. 

I purchased a Dell Active pen, it works better than the HP but not great. Still glitchy and skipping. I'm not sure if there is something broken the laptop or just a poor design/bug which affects all units. The touch screen works great with no issues at all, even works flawlessly with my Adonit Jot Pro pen.

Is there anything I can do my self (lose connection, update, etc.)? I prefer not to spend 2+ hours with phone support and if I have to send in I'm out a laptop for a month or more.

5 REPLIES
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
14646 1022 1519
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey there! @Macintop, Thanks for stopping by HP forums!

I understand you have stylus issues with your laptop.

Don't worry I will try to help you out.

Did you make any software or hardware changes on your PC?

I have checked the records according to the records HP active pen is not compatible with your laptop.

The compatible stylus for your laptop is HP Active Stylus. So you have issue issues using the stylus with your laptop.

Refer the stylus compatibility guide for more information.

Hope this helps!

Have a wonderful day ahead! :)

MrRobot
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Macintop Honor Student
Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I reset it back to stock just to make sure it wasn't something installed and no hardware changes. The pen model purchased was T5E12AA#ABL which lists my computer as compatible.
0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
14646 1022 1519
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Macintop, Thanks for your response and time.

I appreciate your efforts for responding back to us.

As you mentioned you are using HP active stylus not the HP active pen.

I have checked the records and yes it does support your laptop.

Please try calibrating the screen and check if it helps.
In Windows, search for and open Tablet PC Settings.
Tablet PC Settings window opens. On the Display tab, click Calibrate.
Follow the on-screen directions to calibrate your screen.
Click Yes when prompted to save calibration data.
If the screen is still not calibrated correctly, undo the calibration by clicking Reset on Tablet PC Settings.
When prompted, click Yes to allow the Microsoft Digitizer Calibration Tool to make changes to your computer.
The Digitizer Calibration Tool window opens to confirm that the calibration data was successfully removed.

Refer this article to further troubleshoot touchscreen issues.

If the issue still persists after trying out the steps, Please update the BIOS and graphics driver on your PC using HP support assistant.

Note: before updating the graphics driver uninstall the drivers from device manager and run the updates from HP support assistant.

Refer this article to know how to use HP support assistant.

Let me know if this helps!

Have a beautiful day ahead! :)

MrRobot
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Macintop Honor Student
Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Tried calibrating, it took a bit as it wasn't always recognizing near the edges but eventually got it to calibrate. However it didn't solve the issue.

Uninstalled and reinstalled the graphics driver. No affect.

Checked for updates and all updates have been installed (HP Assistant and Windows). Again no affect. 

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
12360 1164 2315
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @Macintop,

I read the reply completely. Brilliant effort, great troubleshooting and super resilience displayed to try and get the issue fixed. Kudos to you on that score. :) It is great;y appreciated.  As @MrRobot is out of office for the day, I am jumping in to assist you here. 

Please try the Active pen on a different compatible Hp computer if you could get hold of one. If that is not possible, please contact Hp phone support to get the stylus replaced.

HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: http://h22207.www2.hp.com/us-en/?openCLC=true

(1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.

(2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.

(3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.

(4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

Hope this helps. Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great.

Take care now and have a superb week ahead. :)

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation