Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion ze2308wm
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (32-bit)

I have a ze2000 (ze2308wm) that I have running the original Windows 8 Enterprise (NOT 8.1). I tried downloading video drivers but I cannot seem to get them to work. I ran a driver update thing from device manager and it installed the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter but it doesn't have any graphics acceleration. I can't seem to install anything over it either. Any ideas on what I can do? I made a previous post about this but it was marked as spam for some reason.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

OK, so it is none of those that I posted but it still has the main ID of PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5955.

So, see if this works...this would be the only other suggestion I can offer.

Click on the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter listed in the device manager.   Click on the driver tab.  Click on Update Driver.

Select the Browse my computer for driver software option, and then at the bottom of that window, select the Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.

Click on Have Disk, and browse to the driver folder that 7-Zip created>Packages>Drivers>Display>LH_INF>CL_39279 (setup information file), click Next, and see if the driver installs that way.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi:

See if this works...

Download and save, but do not run the Vista graphics driver for the graphics adapter your notebook has.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp35001-35500/sp35203.exe

Then download and install this free file utility.  The first link at the top of the page is for 32 bit.

https://www.7-zip.org/

After you install 7-Zip, right click on the graphics driver file you saved.

Select 7-Zip from the list of items on the menu.

Have 7-Zip Extract to:  and let it extract the driver file into its folder name (sp35203).

Once that is done, go to the device manager.  Click to expand the Display Adapters device manager category.

Click on the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter listed there.   Click on the driver tab.  Click on Update Driver.

Select the Browse my computer for driver software option, and browse to the driver folder that 7-Zip created.

Make sure the Include subfolders box is checked, and see if the driver installs that way.

If the driver does not install, please post the hardware ID for the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter, because the driver folder contains two different setup information files, and I would need to know the hardware ID of the specific graphics adapter your notebook has, to point you to the right setup information file.

Use this guide for how to find the hardware ID for a device.

https://www.howtogeek.com/193798/how-to-find-drivers-for-unknown-devices-in-the-device-manager/

HP Recommended

It did not install. Windows "determined that the driver software for the device is up-to-date." The Hardware ID that is shown when I check the adapter is ROOT\BasicDisplay. The graphics chip is a Mobility Radeon Xpress 200G.

Edit: Did a thing, the Hardware ID is: PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5955&SUBSYS_3091103C&REV_00.

HP Recommended

Hi:

The info you posted is not what I need to do the force install of the driver.

Use the guide I posted to find the hardware ID.

It will be one of these.  Let me know which one.

PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5955

PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5975

PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5955&SUBSYS_309B103C

PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5955&SUBSYS_30A4103C

PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5955&SUBSYS_30AE103C

HP Recommended

This is everything that appears when I check the Hardware ID. PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5955&SUBSYS_3091103C&REV_00
PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5955&SUBSYS_3091103C
PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5955&CC_030000
PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5955&CC_0300

HP Recommended

OK, so it is none of those that I posted but it still has the main ID of PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5955.

So, see if this works...this would be the only other suggestion I can offer.

Click on the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter listed in the device manager.   Click on the driver tab.  Click on Update Driver.

Select the Browse my computer for driver software option, and then at the bottom of that window, select the Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.

Click on Have Disk, and browse to the driver folder that 7-Zip created>Packages>Drivers>Display>LH_INF>CL_39279 (setup information file), click Next, and see if the driver installs that way.

HP Recommended

Well, the driver managed to install over the Basic Display Adapter, and animations in Windows 8 are MUCH much smoother. The computer definitely feels snappier, now that it's not stuttering through animations. The only issue, whenever I attempt to open an application that requires acceleration, it fails to open because it states that there is no acceleration, even though there is a driver installed now. In device manager, the driver is labeled "ATI Radeon Xpress Series." Is there any way to get my programs to open, regardless of how badly they will run? Could I run a Windows Update and that'll fix the issue? I do need to install updates, but I don't want to install the 8.1 update without realizing it. Thanks.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Unfortunately, you are at the best status that is available.

There were only XP drivers for your notebook, and the Vista driver I gave you was from a dv8000 model, which had the same graphics adapter, but that model series had Vista drivers.

Beyond W7 you are in uncharted waters with your notebook.

HP Recommended

Alright then. I appreciate going out of your way to help me out with my unsupported machine. I installed Windows 8 Enterprise for laughs, but I remembered that Windows 8 is pretty well optimized for low-powered machines so it actually runs very well (as well as it can run on a 4200 RPM hard drive). It runs just as well, if not better than XP did, and now I have smooth animations which makes everything even better. Thank you so much.

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.