Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Spectre 13-aw0000 x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The screen flickers and goes completely black when using the trackpad. If you used the touchscreen it is fine. Only happens 50% of the time and is fine on external monitor. A full restore fixed it but it came back after a few days.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@OfficeServ

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details:

• When was the last time it worked without these issues?
  • Have you updated Graphics and Chipset drivers?

While you respond to that, let's try these steps: 

Firstly, perform Windows Update and HP Support Assistant: (do not skip any troubleshooting steps if you feel steps are repeating) 

To check for updates now, select the Start button, and then go to Settings  > Update & security  > Windows Update, and select Check for updates.

Install updates from HP Support Assistant: Go to Download HP Support Assistant to install the tool.

1. To open HP Support Assistant, double-click the HP Support Assistant icon https://support.hp.com/doc-images/932/c05040382.jpg.
  2. Click My devices in the top menu, and then click Updates in the My PC or My notebook pane.
  3. Click Check for updates and messages to scan for new updates.
  4. Review the list of updates. Updates with a yellow information icon are recommended. Updates with a blue information icon are optional.
  5. Click the update name for a description, version number, and file size.
  6. Select the box next to any updates you want to install, and then click Download and install.

And, also run BIOS Update: Follow steps from the link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c00042629

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for you response

• When was the last time it worked without these issues? A: It has always had this issue but it is intermittent. 
  • Have you updated Graphics and Chipset drivers? A: Yes, many times

All drivers & BIOS up to date

Works fine on external monitor(s)

Generally only exhibits the problem when using the trackpad or mouse but on occasion just flickers all by itself.

HP Recommended

@OfficeServ

Thank you for posting back.

I appreciate your efforts to try and resolve the issue. I would suggest performing system factory reset will put the computer back to the original factory settings in this way all corrupted and outdated software will be removed. 

While doing the recovery there is an option to back up your personal files. If you have not previously done one now is a good time. 

Restoring Files that were Backed Up Using HP Recovery Manager (Windows)You can also contact HP support for assistance. They can remotely access your system to help alleviate difficulties: www.hp.com/contacthp/

The HP Cloud Recovery Tool allows you to download recovery software to a USB drive. You can use the downloaded recovery image file in order to install the Windows operating system. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have a Late 2019 HP Spectre x360 - 13t-aw000 CTO with the i7-1065G7 and experienced a very similar problem recently.  After booting the screen would flash black in correlation to cursor movement by the trackpad or my bluetooth mouse.  At some cursor positions the screen would remain black, and at other positions the screen would look normal.  After the machine had been running for a while it seemed to snap back into normal operation.

Keep in mind that this machine had been running flawlessly for 10 months.  There had to be something included in a recent update that triggered this issue.

The solution for me was to revert the video driver from 27.20.100.8280 to the version still listed on the product web page:

26.20.100.7810 Rev.A 388.7 MB Apr 1, 2020

After uninstalling the video driver and re-installing the version on the product page I am back to 100% normal operation.  For reference I am running bios F.26.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.