Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Spectre 13 dark ash black gold
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I have a HP spectre 13 which 2 days ago for no apparent reason just had the backlight fail. I can barely make out the monitor as there is no backlight

The screen has been changed and still the same issue so it most likely is the backlight fuse that has gone out. Problem is I am having troubles finding a diagram of the motherboard for this model (13-v000 series) so cannot locate the fuse

Would anyone be able to point me in the right direction?

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@aelk5579
Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

• When was the last time it worked without these issues?
  • Have you updated Graphics and Chipset drivers?
  • Have you checked the display on an external monitor?
  • Did you check with the store where the computer was purchased?

let’s try these steps to resolve the problem:

I recommend you attempt to access the BIOS screen by tapping on F10 while the computer is restarting, 

If the issue persists in the BIOS screen which is outside windows, it would confirm a hardware failure and computer needs to be serviced.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for your response. The last time it worked was last week. I had the notebook on and was doing work.. put it down and the screen went to sleep. A few minutes later tried to wake up the screen and it wouldn't come back

After several minutes I realised there is an issue.

The issue is hardware related as it persists in the BIOS scree.

I have updated all the graphics and chipset drivers. Yes I checked with an external monitor and it displays fine

I asked the shop I purchased it from and they could not help as it is out of warranty

The system board model is BSE30 LA-D401P and HP product ID is 854753-601

Computer product ID is w2k26UA

I am looking for the service manual or diagram of the system board to show me where the LED backlight fuse is located

If you can provide this to me it would be appreciated.

Or if HP can provide the system board bdv file so I can open it up in board viewer it would be even better

Thanks for your help

HP Recommended

@aelk5579

Thank you for posting back. 

Here:http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05121444 is the Maintenance and Service Guide for your computer.
( refer to Chapter 3 Illustrated parts catalog )

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi

Thanks for your reply. The service manual you provided helper me disassemble the computer and remove the system board which I did safely

Unfortunately without the system board diagram, I am unable to determine where the backlight fuse is located 

I also looked on laptop-schematics and couldn’t find the schematic for my board 

thanks for your help 

HP Recommended

@aelk5579
Thank you for posting back.  

I appreciate your efforts to try and resolve the issue., As we have limited support boundaries in the support community as of now.

I would request you to contact our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to sort this out. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:  www.hp.com/contacthp/

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance. Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have the same question!
On the laptop motherboard a backlight chip needs replacing but which one it is...who can tell?
Has anyone done the repair before?

HP Recommended

@SameSameProblem

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, As we have limited support boundaries in the support community as of now.

I would request you to contact our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to sort this out. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:  www.hp.com/contacthp/

NOTE: HP does not recommend upgrading or downgrading hardware parts or software that is bundled with the product as It may affect the manufacturer's warranty and performance, however, you could change the configuration at your own discretion.

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance. Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.