Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
15-bl100 x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I have on annoing 5k2k problem with my Spectre 15-bl100 x360..

Spectre has two internal GPUs, Intel UHD Graphics 620 and Radeon MX150. Intel UHD GPU supports only up to 4K (with 60 Hz) and it seems to be "master GPU". MX150 Radeon would easily support 5k2k, but is not used because of this "dual mode" (games probably uses it, but I have only professional use).

Dell U4021QW 5k2k monitor supports 5k2k @60hz through thunderbolt/usb-c; it has "display port 1.4 mode".

The Problem is this: Spectre uses Intel UHD GPU as default, even with 5k2k monitor through usb-c/thunderbolt. If Radeon MX150 would kick in, it would easily support 5k2k; but I cannot find a way to deploy it...

So.. does anybody know, how to make Spectre's internal Radeon MX150 as a "master" GPU? (and disable Intel GPU totally.)

I've updated almost all drivers, installed Radeon, Dell and Intel management software, and tried all windows settings.. I did not do BIOS update. 

Thanks for your help.

Brgds,

Jussi

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi@Vares, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Apologize for the issue with the display. We understand it's a new notebook lets try a few troubleshooting steps to fix the issue.

BIOS downgrade is not an option?

Tried Adding the game to High performances in the AMD control panel?

Turn on Game Mode. Game Mode is a new feature in Windows 10 Update that improves gaming performance by limiting background processes and programs from using system resources while a game is running.

Press the Windows key and G to open the Game bar.

In the game bar, click Settings.

Click the check box next to the game title to enable Game Mode for that game.

Plug notebook PCs into an AC adapter to give the graphics card more power.

Plug notebook PCs into an AC adapter to give the graphics card more power.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

HP Recommended

Hi! 

Thank you for replying and offering multiple possible solutions! I'm sad to say, that the problem persists.

I followed couple other leads, and found out that this is a major issue in HP consumer laptops. The problem is BIOS. With Lenovo laptops you can go to BIOS and simply change the GPU (= in other words, switch off the weaker Intel GPU and deploy Radeon.)

So, after learning this, I upgraded my Spectre's BIOS with high hopes. But no - I still cannot change the GPU within BIOS.

Do you know will there be (in the future) a BIOS update for Spectre, that allows you to completely switch off weaker Intel GPU and deploy Radeon MX150? 

This BIOS upgrade would be very important to all 2017 Spectre owners - you simply cannot use 5k2k 60Hz- monitors without this kind of BIOS upgrade... (just to state the original problem one more; when Intel GPU is in play, Spectre only handles 30 Hz @5k2k)

HP Recommended

@Vares,

We have done the basic troubleshooting as per the document and the notebook needs to checked taking remote access so that get to know it's a hardware or software issue.

I'd suggest you contact HP in your region regarding the service options for your computer or HP Chat Support Team.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.