Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Spectre - 13-af049tu
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, I have a 4K HP Spectre x360.  I noticed about 1 month ago that when I changed Windows 10 display settings to Multiple Displays and extend the screen it would work fine, but on startup, the Laptop display would sometimes not work.

Now, the laptop screen has stopped altogether, and when clicking on 'Detect' in 'multiple displays' it now wont detect the laptop screen at all.

I have done all the HP Diagnostics. I have changed the hdmi cable, but it worked for months and months before.
I have started the Laptop without any connections to it, but the screen is dead.The external monitor via

USB C works fine. I have also done the HP reset thing.

I have reinstalled Windows 10.  Laptop Screen still dead. 

My Laptop is only 15 months old.  Ive never owned a Laptop that hasn't lasted 5 years or more.

Is it a dead screen?  I'm sure the problem is linked to the Multiple Monitors in Display Settings if that helps.

(I think the screen is dead).

Thanks for any help.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi, sorry, I forgot to mention, the screen is a touch screen, and still works.
I know this as I can control the external Monitor by running my finger over the blank laptop screen.

HP Recommended

@GameOfSounds,

I reviewed your post and I understand that you are facing issues with the display on your computer.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

I recommend you update the BIOS and the graphics driver from the below link and check whether the issue is resolved.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

P.S: Welcome to the HP Support Community 😊

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I had already updated the Bios and everything HP software was asking to do.

I have found a solution, but it could be either of these 2 events which led to the issue.

1. I use Windows update, I do not manually update Intel Graphics drivers, and

noticed the Driver was months in advance of the Driver HP still recommends.

I used the HP driver and after a very long wait for restart,

(blank screen, 3 minutes), the display started working again.

2. At some stage, after removing my laptop from the USB C hdmi connector,

on return, the 'Display settings' would not work correctly for Extended Screens,

and then after 2 weeks the screen would not display anymore. I am also suspicious

that connecting the USB c hdmi cable on return to my desk corrupted the USB C to

the extent it didn't recognise the laptop screen anymore.

So, in Summary, my issue was fixed by installing a much older driver, but I

am suspicious that one of the Windows updates caused the issue.

Thanks to HP support over the phone and this forum, both of which have been great.

HP Recommended

@GameOfSounds That's awesome, I'm glad it worked,

Remember, if you ever need help related to your HP device,

We'll be right here and happy to help, take care and have an awesome day, ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Riddler_Decipher,

Unfortunately, my x360 Laptop is continuing to have random blank screen issues.

For those who still have issue can try attaching an external monitor to get out of trouble.

It might take a while at reboot, maybe 3 minutes, but the external monitor might just start to work

so you can grab your files off your Laptop.

If this does work, try changing the driver to a earlier version, or if you have an earlier version, change it to a newer version.

Sounds ridiculous, but just doing this, your laptop screen might just start working again for a few days.

(You don't have to reboot your Laptop, just wait a while for it to work).

There's another post "my laptop stuck at blank screen after Bios update", after which I will post the same

comment for those with a blank screen.

Somethings gone wrong with the Bios Update obviously. Would expect HP to issue another one

if they haven't done so already.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.