Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 Convertible 13-ae0xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an HP spectre x360 convertible and the backlit screen stopped working after a few months. I was wondering if there was some way of disabling it that I did not know about or if i should turn it in for warranty to get it fixed.

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

@MasonAnderson, Welcome to HP Support Community!

Turn on or off the backlight

If your notebook computer has a backlit keyboard, press the F5 key on the keyboard to turn the light on or off. It might be necessary to press the Fn (function) key at the same time.

If the backlight icon  is not on the F5 key, look for the backlit keyboard key on the row of function keys.

Backlit keyboard key and fn keys highlighted

If you still have issues, continue troubleshooting.

Re-install the keyboard driver

1) In Windows, search for and open Device Manager.

2) Double-click Keyboards.

3) Right click on the keyboard drivers and click on uninstall.

4) Restart the computer. 

Also, try running the updates.

Step 1: Windows Updates

1) In the search box, type, and open Windows Updates. 

2) Check for updates. 

3) If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer. 

Step 2: HP Support Assistant Updates

1) In the search box, type, and open HP Support Assistant. 

2) Check for updates. 

3) If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer. 

Let me know the outcome.

Cheers 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I tried everyting you suggested and it is still not working.

HP Recommended

@MasonAnderson

That's unfortunate. I would suggest you try our other support options for further assistance. Follow the steps below to reach out to our HP Support team:

1) Click on this link - https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp
2) Select your product type below.
3) Enter the serial of your device. 
4) Select the country from the drop-down. 
5) Select the appropriate option based on your preference. 
6) Fill the web-form and proceed further. 

Thank you. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have tried every option above with my x360 with no fix. I sent it in for service and even with a keyboard and motherboard replacement and when it was returned the backlight still does not work.

At this point I believe this is a Windows 10 issue and it is quite frustrating not to find any more information about it.

HP Recommended

@JSpear Welcome to HP Community!

Please provide the product number.

In the meantime, please refer to the following link to Using the Backlit Keyboard.

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

THANK YOU SOOOOOO MUCH , GOT IT FIGURED OUT!!!!! 

HP Recommended

Good for you! What was the final solution? Changing the BIOS settings didn't do the trick for me unfortunately.

HP Recommended

Ok, can you help the rest of us out by telling us what you did?

HP Recommended

Can you please share your experience to fix the problem?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.