02-06-2017 05:48 AM
Welcome to HP Forums,
This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips,
Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out :)
As I understand you are having touch pad issues on your HP Spectre notebook. I'll be really glad to help you with this,
Kudos to you for trying to figure out what needs to be done before posting your question in the HP forums? You could actually try a few steps to see if this resolves the issue.
Don't worry I have a few suggestions to help you out.
First, restart the computer and tap on F10 during restart, once on BIOS screen, move the mouse cursor around to check if it works normally,
If it does, it would confirm a software issue and you follow the below steps if it doesn't work on its a hardware failure and I would suggest a touch pad replacement.
I recommend you to uninstall any generic synaptic drivers showing up for the touch pad (if available) under hidden devices from the device manager:
- Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, and then click Command Prompt.
- At a command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
- set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1
- Type the following command a command prompt, and then press ENTER:
- start devmgmt.msc
- Troubleshoot the devices and drivers in Device Manager. NOTE: Click Show hidden devices on the View menu in Device Manager before you can see devices that are not connected to the computer.
- When you finish troubleshooting, close Device Manager.
- Type exit at the command prompt.
- Note that when you close the command prompt window, Window clears the devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1 variable that you set in step 2 and prevents ghosted devices from being displayed when you click Show hidden devices.
And then download a new version of the synaptic drivers using this link: Click here
I also need a few details to provide further assistance (if need be):
When was the time it worked (date)?
If you are able to reach some resolution, please click on Accept Solution to help others with similar issues.
If you appreciate my assistance, please click on the thumbs up icon.
Both icons are below this post.
Have a good day, Ahead.
I am an HP Employee